Pope Benedict to meet President Bush in Tower
The Vatican said the unusual venue was chosen to repay Bush for “the cordiality of the meeting at the White House” during the Pope’s U.S. visit in April.
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said the unusual venue was chosen to repay Bush for “the cordiality of the meeting at the White House” during the Pope’s U.S. visit in April.
Although the Pope usually receives heads of state in his private study in the Apostolic Palace, overlooking St. Peter’s Square, the upcoming meeting will take place on the upper deck of St. John’s tower, a round structure on a hilltop inside the Vatican gardens.
The tower, which Pope John XXIII restored the tower as a place he could work in peace, is sometimes used as a residence for important guests.
After their private talks, President Bush and Pope Benedict will walk in the gardens to see a statue of the Madonna.
President Bush will be in Rome from Wednesday until Friday. He will also tour Slovenia, Germany, Italy, France and Britain.
- - -
Founded in continued response to Pope John Paul II’s call for a “New Evangelization,” the Catholic News Agency (CNA) has been, since 2004, one of the fastest growing Catholic news providers to the English speaking world.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- St. John Paul II: Reliable Reports Affirm Second Miracle, Canonization This Year
- Pope Francis Adds Name of St Joseph to Every Mass in the Eucharistic Prayer: What Does it Mean?
- Pope Francis To G8 Global Leaders: Goal of Economics is to Serve Humanity
- Fr. Pavone: Gosnell Babies are NOT Unclaimed and Deserve Burial
- Fall of the Wall of Silence: More on Pope Francis and Reports of a 'Gay Lobby' in the Roman Curia
- Social networking taking off in BIG WAY in Europe - and many are senior citizens
- Pope Teaches the Faithful What it Means to Be a Part of the Church, the People of God
- NAUGHTY TEENS: When an adolescent is blocked from an Internet site - it's usually pornographic
- Money Changers in the Temple: Tel Aviv redefines itself as Gay Capital of the World
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?