Welcoming Baby 6,666,666,666: PRI Celebrates the Latest Population Milestone
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the world's 6,666,666,666th person was born on May 10th. The occasion gave rise to the usual calls for more population control to stave off a demographic disaster.
The Sierra Club wants to redouble its promotion of population control. "If we are to achieve a more sustainable future," says its Global Population and Environment overview, "addressing the root causes of environmental degradation-- including overconsumption of natural resources, poverty, and population growth - is paramount." PRI begs to differ.
In fact, the fear of annihilation at the hands of unstoppable population growth is an outdated scientific parlor tale, based in racism, eugencism, mathematical incompetence and demographic ignorance. Men like Thomas Malthus and Paul Ehrlich have long since been refuted. The birth of the world's 6,666,666,666th person should be treasured as a time when the world's population is still climbing.
"Over six billion of anything is a mind-boggling number, and not just for the numerically challenged," says PRI president Steven Mosher, in his newly published book, Population ControlóReal Costs, Illusory Benefits. "Few people have the independence of mind to grasp what this number truly represents: A great victory over early death won by advances in health, nutrition and longevity."
This victory is ignored by those who bemoan the birth of babies. But why should it not be cause for celebration that human beings, as Mosher says, have stopped "dying like flies." Contrary to the claims of the population control movement, the numbers show that "the world's population will never double again. In fact . . . it is already close to its apogee."
Although the United Nations would be the first to advocate radical population control measures, their own numbers show the world's population growth skidding to a halt. Like an arrow shot in to the air, the world's population will soon peak, and then plummet downward at an ever-increasing rate. Many countries have already fallen below replacement-rate fertility, with more to follow.
In short, PRI holds that we should celebrate the birth of human babies while there are still human babies being born. PRI celebrates the birth of this milestone baby, and encourages people and governments to look at human beings as resources to be cherished, not liabilities to be destroyed.
Steve Mosher's new book, Population ControlóReal Costs, Illusory Benefits, is available on Amazon.com or on PRI's web site: www.pop.org.
Colin Mason is Director of Media Production at Population Research Institute.
PRI is a 501(c)(3) educational organization. We work to reverse the trends brought about by the myth of overpopulation. Our growing, global network of pro-life groups spans over 30 countries. To date, we have successfully eliminated $790 million in U.S. tax dollars to International Planned Parenthood, UNFPA, and other anti-life aboritionists while redirecting much of this to family friendly programs like Child Survival.
See our current project.
Donate now to directly affect the lives and well-being of mothers and children around the world.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Population Research Institute News
- The Huffington Post Gets It Wrong--Again
- PRI TO PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA: DONíT FUND FORCED ABORTION
- USAID Denies Funding to Abortion Group Implicated in Forced Abortions and Sterilizations in China; PRI Applauds Action
- Population growth good for America, expert tells FOX
- Youtube Censors PRI Investigative Video
- Starvation Scapegoat: Blaming Population for a Green Problem
- U.S. Bishops Urge Voters To Give Priority To Life
- Welcoming Baby 6,666,666,666: PRI Celebrates the Latest Population Milestone
- THE COST OF CONTROL: STEVE MOSHER'S BOOK EXPLODES THE MYTH OF OVERPOPULATION
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?