Cardinal Dziwisz tells Youth they are 'John Paul II Generation'
"You are the watchmen of the dawn, youth who announce the day, a season full of sun. You are the John Paul II generation, who have the task of the new evangelization."
Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, archbishop of Krakow, affirmed this Wednesday when he directed a meditation for youth at the end of a prayer vigil in the Vatican grottoes.
The young people, before the tomb of the Polish Pope, had a moment of silence at 9:37, the hour that John Paul II died on April 2, 2005. Thanks to a satellite connection, thousands of youth in Poland shared the same moment.
Cardinal Dziwisz told the youth: "You are the watchmen of the dawn, youth who announce the day, a season full of sun. You are the John Paul II generation, who have the task of the new evangelization."
Later, showing emotion, the prelate began to address his spiritual father: "Your service to the Church continues, even if in a different way. We think of your teaching, of your example in life, which keeps speaking to our consciences.
"We want to proclaim the sacred character of life and the sanctity of the family and marriage. In the name of Jesus, we are on the side of the poor, of the humble, of those who have nothing, of the persecuted in the name of justice or religion."
"From the window of the house of the Father, one sees better," Cardinal Dziwisz said, alluding to words that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger pronounced in the funeral. "Therefore, we ask you to watch over the youth of today, their aspirations, hopes, worries. John Paul II, Holy Father, thank you for everything."
Cardinal Camillo Ruini, Benedict XVI's vicar for the Diocese of Rome, also participated in the prayer service, as did Cardinal Angelo Comastri, archpriest of St. Peter's Basilica.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis: Jesus Became Poor, So that by His Poverty You Might Become Rich
- DEFIANT RUSSIA: Leadership disregarding tough talk from Obama
- Long-lost pirate's treasure could be hidden off Irish coast
- British mom gets second opinion - and finds her unborn baby ALIVE, in spite of doctors
- Calling the Ecclesial Movements: Pope Francis Encourages Focolare, all the Movements, So Do We!
- Oops! Pope Francis accidentally mutters obscenity
- One rape or sexual assault reported by members of the Armed Forces - EVERY WEEK
- Pope Francis Writes to Families Seeking Prayer for the Synod on the Family
- After scandal, overseer gives Legion of Christ clean bill of health
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?