Indonesian Catholic nun murdered in convent
AMBON, Indonesia (Catholic Online) Ė A 33-year-old Catholic woman religious was murdered in her convent March 10, after she caught an intruder, who was apparently going to rob the community.
The member of the Daughters of the Sacred Heart was violently stabbed with a knife, when other nuns found her in the Jalan Pattimura convent, near Ambon, the main city of the Indonesian province of Moluccas, according to Fides, the Vatican's missionary news service, on March 14.
When found by the other members of her community, she was in a serious condition. She was rushed to hospital where she died.
Special prayers were said in every parish in the Ambon area, and, at the nunís funeral, there were also prayers for world peace. Fides noted that, according to local sources, religion was not the reason for the crime, with the nunís murderer, not yet identified, thought to have been a common thief.
In 1999-2002, Ambon was the interreligious clashes between resident Protestant Christians and immigrant Muslims in which as many as 15,000 people were killed. The Catholic Church acted as a mediator to promote reconciliation.
Today, tension between the two communities has subsided. However according to local sources there are isolated attempts by extremists to rekindle the conflict also by taking advantage of the situation of hardship and poverty.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Pakistan leads world in gay pornography Internet searches
- Rape and molestation violence against women increases by six percent in India
- GRISLY VENGEANCE: Teenager decapitates father after he raped her
- 'We watch the drones all day long in fear' - Pakistanis come out to protest U.S. drones
- China launches three-member crew into space to dock with space lab
- Husband carries ailing wife on back for 40 km to hospital but unborn baby dies
- Young Indian nurse dies slow, agonizing death after acid attack
- China: More Censorship and Arrests on the Anniversary of Tiananmen
- Condemned to death: Heartbreaking film documents plight of gang-rape victim
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?