Internet proves popular in meeting people
A recent study of couples in a romantic relationship shows that more and more people are meeting their life partner online. According to a survey of 3,009 adults with a romantic partner, the Internet is now the second most important way people meet.
In fact, only one other factor proved to more popular in meeting people -- at least 32% of respondents said that friends brought them together.
"It's the one category that works for every kind of couple — gays and straights, young and old. Everybody relies on their friends," says Michael Rosenfeld, an associate professor of sociology at Stanford University in Stanford, California. He will discuss his preliminary findings at a meeting of the Population Association of America in April.
USA TODAY asked readers for their own "how we met" stories, and more than 300 responded. Coupled with Rosenfeld's research, the study is an especially revealing look at how romances form in contemporary society.
Rosenfeld says he was surprised that people over 30 were the ones who met partners online — rather than the twenty-somethings he expected.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Love & Relationship News
- See what EXPLOSIVE revelations about infidelity and children this author discovered
- Why Wait for Marriage? Just Look at the Faces of those Who Did!
- The Masculine and Feminine in Performance
- Saying 'Goodbye' to My Best Friend of 40 Years
- United Nations Population Fund: Contraception a Human Right?
- Needed: Men Who Will be True Heroes for Heroic Women
- Logical Fail: Sex Should Be a Practical Issue?
- The Creation of Mother's Day
- Around the Well
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?