ANY SURPRISE? United States fails to make Top 20 lists when it comes to healthy diets
Netherlands makes the top of the list - other nations have problems making sure that citizens are fed
The Netherlands is the best place in the world to eat, according to new research. People in the African nation of Chad are the worst off when it comes to their food consumption. The United States - with little surprise, with our reliance on processed foods came in at 21 for most healthy diets. Our friends across the pond in the United Kingdom made it at 13.
The Netherlands was found to be the best place in the world to eat, followed by France and Switzerland. The Netherlands won the top spot because as it has comparatively low food prices, low diabetes levels and better nutritional diversity than its European rivals.
Help join the fight in keeping the world's children fed by going here!
Also in the top 12 were Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg and Portugal.
It must be noted that these countries did not score well in all categories. The Netherlands has high levels of obesity with almost one in five of its population with a body mass index of more than 30. The healthy level is 18 to 25. Australia has the highest obesity levels as 27 per cent - more than one in four of Australians are obese.
Chad is shown to be the worst place to eat as the food is of little nutritional value, it is expensive and it prepared with limited access to hygienic conditions. One in three children in Chad is also underweight.
Joining Chad at the bottom of the table are Ethiopia and Angola. The rest of the bottom 10 ranking nations are comprised of sub-Saharan African countries and Yemen.
In these lowest-ranked countries, diets are dominated by nutrient-poor cereals, roots and root vegetables.
The U.S. was found to have the most affordable food in the world while Angola has the least affordable. Quality of food is highest in Iceland and it is lowest in Madagascar. The highest rate of diabetes is in Saudi Arabia and the country with the greatest obesity problem is Kuwait.
Overall, the Top 10 best Countries To Eat In was:
1. The Netherlands
Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action'...
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Home & Food News
- Got a sweet tooth? Keep sugar intake down to six teaspoons daily, WHO says
- Student-led project gives breakfast to 1,500 at homeless shelters
- Under great pressure, Subway Sandwiches will stop using - 'special ingredient'
- ANY SURPRISE? United States fails to make Top 20 lists when it comes to healthy diets
- California project aiding 'motel kids' seeks global expansion
- It's official: Carolina Reaper peppers are the hottest on Earth
- TOO SPICY! Sriracha factory in California ordered to shut down due to smells
- A most unwelcome surprise to a midday treat: DEADLY Spiders found in banana by British family
- TASTY TREAT: Fat, skin, connective tissue, blood vessels, nerves, bone fragments
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?