Pizza is NOT a vegetable
Congressman, who introduced SLICE Act, says pizza is not a vegetable.
The SLICE Act, School Lunch Improvements for Children's Education, has been introduced that two tablespoons of tomato paste on pizza could be classified as a full vegetable serving in the federal school lunch program. This means that Congress could actually consider pizza as a vegetable.
Congress' action has drawn quite a bit of ridicule. Jon Stewart, "Daily Show" host, joked: "So the one thing that you've all been able to sit down and agree upon is that pizza is a vegetable."
Corey Henry, spokesman for the American Frozen Food Institute, said, "Congress did not declare pizza a vegetable, and no one has ever, or will ever, ask that pizza be considered a vegetable."
Polis' bill would allow the U.S. Department of Agriculture to count 1/8 of a cup of tomato paste as 1/8 of a cup of vegetables instead of as half a cup of vegetables.
"Unfairly downgrading the nutritional classification of tomato paste would have severely hindered the ability of school nutritionists to serve a wide range of healthy, affordable meals that schoolchildren enjoy eating," Henry said in an interview.
Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, welcomed Polis' bill.
"It sends a good message about the importance of healthy school foods, and that these decisions should be based on what's best for kids, not what's best for business,'' said Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest
The controversial issue is expected to reappear when the House takes up the yearly spending bill for the Department of Agriculture. However, Polis' bill may not go far.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Home & Food News
- Got a sweet tooth? Keep sugar intake down to six teaspoons daily, WHO says
- Student-led project gives breakfast to 1,500 at homeless shelters
- Under great pressure, Subway Sandwiches will stop using - 'special ingredient'
- ANY SURPRISE? United States fails to make Top 20 lists when it comes to healthy diets
- California project aiding 'motel kids' seeks global expansion
- It's official: Carolina Reaper peppers are the hottest on Earth
- TOO SPICY! Sriracha factory in California ordered to shut down due to smells
- A most unwelcome surprise to a midday treat: DEADLY Spiders found in banana by British family
- TASTY TREAT: Fat, skin, connective tissue, blood vessels, nerves, bone fragments
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?