Pizza is NOT a vegetable
Congressman, who introduced SLICE Act, says pizza is not a vegetable.
The SLICE Act, School Lunch Improvements for Children's Education, has been introduced that two tablespoons of tomato paste on pizza could be classified as a full vegetable serving in the federal school lunch program. This means that Congress could actually consider pizza as a vegetable.
Congress' action has drawn quite a bit of ridicule. Jon Stewart, "Daily Show" host, joked: "So the one thing that you've all been able to sit down and agree upon is that pizza is a vegetable."
Corey Henry, spokesman for the American Frozen Food Institute, said, "Congress did not declare pizza a vegetable, and no one has ever, or will ever, ask that pizza be considered a vegetable."
Polis' bill would allow the U.S. Department of Agriculture to count 1/8 of a cup of tomato paste as 1/8 of a cup of vegetables instead of as half a cup of vegetables.
"Unfairly downgrading the nutritional classification of tomato paste would have severely hindered the ability of school nutritionists to serve a wide range of healthy, affordable meals that schoolchildren enjoy eating," Henry said in an interview.
Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, welcomed Polis' bill.
"It sends a good message about the importance of healthy school foods, and that these decisions should be based on what's best for kids, not what's best for business,'' said Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest
The controversial issue is expected to reappear when the House takes up the yearly spending bill for the Department of Agriculture. However, Polis' bill may not go far.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Home & Food News
- TOO SPICY! Sriracha factory in California ordered to shut down due to smells
- A most unwelcome surprise to a midday treat: DEADLY Spiders found in banana by British family
- TASTY TREAT: Fat, skin, connective tissue, blood vessels, nerves, bone fragments
- Not Again! Barilla pasta under fire after anti-gay remarks
- Asia Pacific region wastes food - as millions go hungry
- What your favorite ice cream flavor says about you: You may be surprised!
- SHOCKING REVELATION: French fries are not from France
- Low-calorie, gluten-free, high-protein quinoa dies quick death in U.S.
- Nations struggling to keep crops growing during climate change
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?