HEARTBREAKING TRUE STORY: Dog dies after pushing 4-year-old boy away from car
Owner of guide dog says he showed 'true loyalty and courage'
In a heartbreaking show of loyalty, a guide dog managed to push a four-year-old boy away from the path of a speeding car - even after it was struck by the car. Simon, the guide dog bounced back just in time after being struck and pushed the boy out of the way from the speeding car as it rushed past a stop sign.
"He's been my eyes and buddy," Furukawa said of his former guide dog, Simon, choking back tears. "He loved my son."
Simon bounced back up in time to push Will out of the way, witnesses said. Dave Furukawa said the 80-pound boxer showed "true loyalty and courage" before it died.
"What people have said is that Simon either got up or jumped out, and pushed my son out of the path of the car," Furukawa told TV reporters. "This is true loyalty and courage."
Several bystanders rushed over to the boy and picked him up from the ground . as they carried him to his mother down the street, Simon managed to hobble alongside.
"Broken leg, and he had a gash on his side and he had internal bleeding - but he followed home," Furukawa said. "Once he was sure Will was okay, he laid down." Simon died on the way as his family rushed the injured 80-pound dog to an emergency vet.
Cops later cited the car's driver, Calvin Armour, with running a stop sign and failing to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk. Armour was reportedly driving at a high rate of speed when he went through the intersection, a local TV station affiliate said.
Pilot Dogs, Inc. - the Columbus, Ohio, group who provided Simon to Furukawa said they will give the family another guide dog. But Furukawa said Simon's spirit will never be forgotten.
"He's been my eyes and buddy," Furukawa said, choking back tears. "He loved my son."
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?