Parents raising their girl as a boy
Parents claim child self-identifies as a boy.
The Washington Post is featuring a story of a child they present as 'transgendered'. Her parents say the little girl identified as a boy from as early as age two.The facts remain. Gender is inalterable, in our DNA. It is not the choice of the person, or the parents. This means that despite haircuts and a name change, Kathryn is still a girl, and will become a woman someday.
Concerned for their child, Kathryn's parents took her to a psychologist who diagnosed the toddler as having what is called gender dysphoria.
Also called Gender identity disorder, it is a perceived conflict between a person's physical gender and the gender he or she identifies with. Those who suffer from the malady see their physical gender as a burden.
Following the psychologist's report, and allegedly concerned over Kathryn's discomfort with her gender, the parents agreed to make what they call a gender switch and raise their child as a boy.
The fact is one cannot change ones gender. It is a given.
The story highlights the struggles of parents of children who identify as transgendered. The family said that Kathryn, as a toddler, had behavioral issues they felet were related to attempting to raise their child in her natural gender.
They maintain that by permitting Kathryn to live as Tyler they have solved these behavioral problems. Of course, she is still a child.
The parents of Kathryn claim that she is happy as Tyler and plays in the way which many boys do. They maintain that this little girl no longer faces any issues over identity.
The facts remain. Gender is inalterable, in our DNA. It is not the choice of the person, or the parents. This means that despite haircuts and a name change, Kathryn is still a girl, and will become a woman someday.
The Washington Post quoted Patrick Kelly, a psychiatrist with John Hopkins Children's Center saying, "gender solidifies at about three to six."
This suggests that a child can identify with the other gender in their mind, very early in life, although it is not really understood why. What is left to answer is how this should be addressed.
Gender is God-assigned, not chosen. No haircut, name change, or surgical mutilation or ingestion of hormones can ever change gender. It is ingrained in the DNA.
However, there is little doubt that some of these children feel as though their sex is the opposite of what it actually is.
It is suggested by psychologists that this is a disorder and if such, should be treated appropriately, not simply left to run a course over a child, and later, an adult's life.
The manner of approaching it varies widely among professionals. Often, it seems to be dictated by ideology more than physchology or true medical science.
The Church holds that a 'sex change' operation cannot alter one's gender. Bishops have been directed never to change the gender of a person on baptismal certificates.
However, the gender identity movement seeks to make gender a matter of personal 'choice'. In fact, there is a growing effort to enforce this notion with legislation. One example is the efforts to open public restrooms to transgendered persons.
In addition, the confused approach to human sexuality which is at work in a culture which has lost its moral compass now blurs the distinction between sexes.
This same culture increasingly encourages sexual deviance as a norm. It is unfortunate to see that even small children, at an age they ought to be playing with toys, are not beyond such conscription.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?