A Small Miracle: Baby is rescued after mother confesses to flushing him down drain
Child is expected to recover, mother charged.
Spanish authorities have arrested a 26-year-old woman for attempted murder after they rescued her newborn baby from a drainpipe. The woman allegedly shoved the baby down the drain saying she did so because she could not afford an abortion.
Firefighters expected to rescue a cat, but saw feet and realized they were saving a baby from a terrible murder.
The newborn child, a boy, was stuffed into a plastic bag, a hole poked so he could breathe, and was shoved into a drainpipe. The baby's arm was broken in the process and he cried for two days while stuck. Apartment residents became aware of the cries and assumed that a kitten may have become trapped and they contacted authorities to rescue the supposed animal.
To everyone's surprise, they found a child. Firemen broke into the pipe expecting to see a cat, but instead saw a baby's feet. That was when the rescue became truly urgent because they realized they were working to save a child.
The baby was swiftly rescued and rushed to the hospital. Amazingly, despite the broken arm, the hospital reports the child is in serious but stable condition and will likely recover. The little tyke weighs 4lb 8oz.
His mother has been arrested. Police say she confessed to throwing her child down the drainpipe because she couldn't afford an abortion. She will be charged with attempted murder.
The case is similar to one in that took place in China's Zhejiang province last month. In that case, the mother claims the child went down the pipe by accident. The baby was rescued and is being raised by its grandparents. Chinese authorities did not file charges in that case.
The problem here isn't abortion at all. Rather, it is the mentality that human life is disposable based on inconvenience, emotional upset, or personal preference of someone who has more power. Human life is never disposable. Children are a sacred gift.
Every human life should be received as a gift. Every child has a Right to Life. Abortion and infanticide deny this Right and are intrinsically immoral and unjust.
If such a right was denied to an adult person in the First World, on the basis of convenience or emotion, the outrage would be great. In fact, depriving an individual of such rights on these basis are usually regarded as capital crimes.
Yet, for some reason, if the victim is a child, particularly an unborn child, then society is starkly apathetic to the child's plight. This is wrong. Already, we treat the chronically sick, mentally ill, and elderly as second-class people. How long before this attitude extends to others who are not favored by those in power?
This is why we must draw a hard line against procured abortion and other anti-life practices whereby we seek to omit God's will from our lives and replace it with our own, or that of any secular government. Today we destroy our children, without realizing that we are also destroying ourselves.
Sadly, most abandoned children go without rescue. It is unbelievable to conceive of the idea that any child could go 'unwanted' or that a mother, who felt her son move within her womb, could commit his murder.
The power of evil is real. It can only be defeated by the greater power of Good.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- How Republicans won the fight over abortion in Texas
- Love begins at birth: Newborn baby doesn't want to be separated from mom after birth
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN HOLOCAUST: 72 percent of the babies aborted in Mississippi are black
- Teenage survivors of sexual abuse, incest must address long kept secrets
- More black babies being aborted than being born in New York City
- Woman sends 100 tweets in an hour about her abortion
- Loneliness has strong impact on premature death
- Planned Parenthood agrees to pay $2 million in fatal abortion procedure
- Women's rights activist Reggie Littlejohn among 'Top 10' of Vatican magazine
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?