Still nothing on the Bible - Relationship contracts between married couples become popular - again
Clear agreements, good friends - Roman proverb
Relationship contracts are the new trend among the youth and experts say they can help both the husband and wife to enjoy a more fulfilled life and a stronger marriage.
For example, contracts commonly cover who will fulfill what responsibilities and chores in a household, who is permitted to do what and with what frequency, and even how often the pair may engage in physical activity.
Experts say they can help relationships by creating clear expectations. For example: you feed the kids and do the dishes, then we can cuddle. Or, you tidy the garage and then you can watch the game. Or you get up and into church on time, and I'll fix lunch afterwards.
Interestingly, small, daily obligations like that can build a married couple into a strong pair that can weather even the greatest difficulties, or if needs remain unmet, they can swiftly make a shambles of a marriage.
The contracts can even make allowances for time away from one another, detailing how often, and with whom.
The only problem with the contracts is that they can't really be enforced, at least not by a judge. Still, by providing clarity and expectations in a relationships, couples can focus on tackling more important concerns since they know daily concerns will be handled.
Of course, relationship contracts are nothing new. The Bible discusses obligations between husbands and wives, although those contracts are typically less egalitarian since they are a product of a different time. Nonetheless, they can provide a good starting point for any couple interesting in discussing a contract of their own.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?