Gay Activists, Planned Parenthood need to STOP politicizing our youth organizations
Children should be safe from indoctrination.
The Boy Scouts of America announced on Friday that children who identify themselves as having same-sex attraction will be permitted to join the scouts, but men who are active homosexuals will not be able to serve as leaders. It marks a dramatic shift for the organization which has long been a pillar of foundational morality in society.
A proposed resolution states, "No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone."
The association was recently presented with petitions including a 1.4 million-signature petition that called for the organization to lift its ban. That petition had the support of personalities such as President Obama, Mitt Romney, and Mayor Bloomberg.
The petition was a response to the association's announcement last year that it would maintain its ban. The decision to retain the ban was made after two years of careful study and review. Now, after days of intense lobbying, the association has decided to present to the final authority of the organization a proposal to change its policy.
The Boy Scouts are heavily supported by the Catholic Church. In fact, many parishes form the neighborhood headquarters for many organizations. The Church recognizes the dignity of every human person, even those who self identify as having homosexual attractions. However, the Church clearly and unequivocally rejects homosexual practice as immoral.
Thus, the Church, along with other Christians, other people of faith and many people of good will, opposes the spreading influence of a homosexual equivalency movement,a movement which seeks to place homosexual relationships as the moral equivalent marriage between a man and a woman. Of particular concern is having active homosexuals in positions of leadership. The organization said they will retain their ban on self-identified homosexual men serving as leaders.
Members within the Boy Scouts are sharply divided on the issue. Some are willing to support the compromise, and others believe the BSA should compromise on their moral values. Is it because it would placate a vocal movement that has gained voice out of proportion to its numbers?
Conversely, there are many who say that scouting should be entirely open to active, practicing homosexuals, even at the leadership level.
Perry added to his statement, "America needs Scouting, and our policies must be based on what is in the best interest of our kids. We believe good people can disagree and still work together to accomplish great things for youth."
Of course, a great part of the tragedy lies in the politicization of prominent American youth associations. Some Girls Scouts chapters have been infiltrated by Planned Parenthood organizers and promoters and have delivered anti-life messages to young girls. Now, the homosexual equivalency movement is making inroads into the Boy Scouts.
(See also this article and this one by Jennifer Hartline. This is another from 2010.)
It seems tragic that our children cannot gather and enjoy fellowship without being eyed as a targets by organizations with a radical agenda to effect what amounts to a cultural revolution.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- How Republicans won the fight over abortion in Texas
- Love begins at birth: Newborn baby doesn't want to be separated from mom after birth
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN HOLOCAUST: 72 percent of the babies aborted in Mississippi are black
- Teenage survivors of sexual abuse, incest must address long kept secrets
- More black babies being aborted than being born in New York City
- Woman sends 100 tweets in an hour about her abortion
- Loneliness has strong impact on premature death
- Planned Parenthood agrees to pay $2 million in fatal abortion procedure
- Women's rights activist Reggie Littlejohn among 'Top 10' of Vatican magazine
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?