Photo of baby daughter grabbing doctor's finger during C-section becomes Internet hit
Arizona proud papa snaps picture while baby is being born
Randy Atkins of Glendale, Arizona was taking photos of his wife's birth when something miraculous happened. Performing an emergency C-section, the Atkins' third child, Nevaeh - "Heaven" spelled backwards, reached out and grasped the doctor's finger. The photo was one of the first big viral hits of the New Year.
'We didn't think we were going to get such positive feedback. We thought we would get more negative 'that's disgusting,'' mom Alicia said. '[Instead] everybody just thought it was the best thing in the world.'
Little Nevaeh was born via Caesarean section on October 9. "The doctor called me over and said, 'Hey, she's grabbing my finger,'" Randy Atkins told television reporters.
"So I ran over there and just grabbed the shot and I was just in awe looking at it. It was such an amazing picture."
Nevaeh's mom Alicia is the professional photographer in the family and owns "A Classic Pin-Up" photo studio.
She posted the photo on her company Facebook page the day after Christmas for family and friends to see.
"This was 10 weeks ago when I was having my c-section and Dr. Sawyer broke my water and my daughter reached up out of my stomach and grabbed the Dr.'s finger and my hubby caught this special moment.
"Truly amazing . I am in awe of this photo. Something to remember forever."
The photo captured people's imaginations. So far it has received over 1,800 likes, more than 500 shares and 260 comments - overwhelmingly positive reactions to the Atkins sharing such an intimate and special moment.
"We didn't think we were going to get such positive feedback. We thought we would get more negative 'that's disgusting,'" Alicia said. "[Instead] everybody just thought it was the best thing in the world."
Baby Nevaeh is doing very well and enjoying family life with her parents and two older siblings.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: C-section, photo, birth, Internet, viral hit
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Our Contraceptive Chickens Have Come Home to Roost
- Small comfort: Two friends die in each other's arms at destroyed Oklahoma school
- Teenage birth rates drop dramatically among Hispanic women, girls
- Combating the Secularist Elitist Attack on Motherhood: Learning from Jesus and Mary
- Freeing Ourselves from the Hideous Strength of Contraception and Abortion
- Two Opposing Visions of Women, Part One
- Two Opposing Visions of Women, Part Two
- Answering the Question: The Right to Marriage and Infertile Couples
- 'Sexually aggressive behavior' in males traced to print advertisements
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?