Mother sacrifices own life to save baby from collision
Brave U.K. mom pushed child from path of recycling truck
A mother has made the ultimate sacrifice for her child. Dawn Graves, a fearless 25-year-old mother of two pushed her stroller out of the path of an oncoming recycling truck. Graves had been set on marrying her partner a few weeks before the incident, which unfortunately ended her life.
Deputy coroner Alan Walsh said the mother gave no thought to the danger to herself as she pushed her son to safety.
Grave suffered "unsurvivable" multiple injuries as she crossed a street in the Breightmet area of Bolton, Greater Manchester last May.
Deputy coroner Alan Walsh said Graves gave no thought to the danger to herself as she pushed her son to safety.
Witness Thomas Grimshaw said he flagged down the truck driver, reportedly unaware of the accident. Both Grimshaw and his partner rushed to help stricken Miss Graves.
Graves had just been to a local shop to purchase a bag of sweets.
"She was just stepping off the pavement and she continued to walk.
"She was fiddling with what appeared to be some sweets as she pushed the pram.'
Miss Graves pushed the pram out of the way and then fell to the ground. "It was all very quick," she added.
A distressed Grimshaw said the vehicle was driving "slowly" and he managed to get the driver's attention that brought the truck to a halt. Grimshaw added that the vehicle had been in full view.
Jordan Kay-Haworth, who was taking a break from work at a barber's shop close to the scene, said that he saw the young mother leave the shop, look, then carry on walking and estimated the lorry speed as being either four or five miles an hour.
He said that Graves had "momentarily looked down" but said he could not say for certain if a van parked outside the shop could have obstructed Graves' view of the truck.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?