Abortion threatens the future of black Americans, activist says
'We're not even allowing our children and grandchildren to be born,' Rep. Allen West says
On Capitol Hill last week, Rep. Allen West gathered a group of pro-life activists together to get out the message that abortion threatens the future of the black Americans. "Today, we're talking about the future," West said. "It's not just the $16 trillion in debt that we're about to put on our children and grandchildren. It's the fact that we're not even allowing our children and grandchildren to be born."
Rep. Allen Davis said that according to the Centers for Disease Control, statistics prove that while blacks represent about 13 percent of the U.S. population, 35 percent of abortions are performed on black women.
Davis said that according to the Centers for Disease Control, statistics prove that while blacks represent about 13 percent of the U.S. population, 35 percent of abortions are performed on black women.
"There is one organization whose mission is one of population control that greatly influences this disproportionate rate - that's Planned Parenthood," Davis said. Davis, along with other panelists, called for Congress to stop funding the organization. "They are the largest abortion provider, performing more than 329,000 abortions a year."
Rep. West is an ardent critic of taxpayer funding for the nation's largest provider and promoter of abortion, Planned Parenthood. West, one of two African American Republicans currently serving in Congress, has called attention to the disproportionately high abortion rate in the African American community. "It is absolutely offensive to me that Planned Parenthood is located in so many of our black communities," West previously stated at a town hall meeting.
Other speakers at the event included Ryan Bomberger, founder of the Radiance Foundation. Bomberger's mother was raped but carried her pregnancy to later give Bomberger up for adoption.
Bomberger's biography states that, "His life defies the myth of the 'unwanted' child as he was adopted, loved and has flourished."
West says that while cutting the federal debt and deficit, limited government, and a strong defense are vital to a strong America, the social pillars are also important.
"We cannot forget our traditional cultural values: the strength of marriage, the strength of family, the protection of the unborn," West said.
Day Gardner, president of the Black Pro-life Union along with Alveda King, Martin Luther King Jr.'s niece also spoke at the event.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?