Arizona judge upholds pro-life legislation!
New law restricts abortions after 20 weeks.
It may not be enough, but it is a step in the right direction; an Arizone Judge has upheld the state's restriction on abortions after 20 weeks. It also makes a narrow exception when the life of the mother is in jeopardy.
According to the ACLU, that period is around 22-23 weeks. The previous ruling is derived from the 1992 Supreme Court decision, Planned Parenthood vs. Casey.
US District Judge James A. Teilborg wisely denied the ACLU claim because the law is not an actual ban on abortion, but rather a restriction on the practice.
"H.B. 2036 does not purport to ban all abortions past 20 weeks gestational age. Further, the statute allows for abortions up to and including 20 weeks gestational age. As such, H.B. 2036 is not a ban on previability abortions, but is rather a limit on some pre-viability abortions between 20 weeks gestational age and viability," Teilborg wrote in his decision.
The ACLU is appealing the ruling. Such an appeal, if it makes its way to the Supreme Court, could finally give power back to the people and legislatures of states who do not want abortion-on-demand services to be made freely available for use as birth control or for other reasons.
A life-affirming ruling, while not ending the horrors of abortion, could still limit them by protecting all babies after the 20th week of pregnancy. And while 20 weeks is still a lengthy gauntlet for a baby carried by a hostile mother, it is a lot better than the status quo.
The law takes effect on August 2.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- How Republicans won the fight over abortion in Texas
- Love begins at birth: Newborn baby doesn't want to be separated from mom after birth
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN HOLOCAUST: 72 percent of the babies aborted in Mississippi are black
- Teenage survivors of sexual abuse, incest must address long kept secrets
- More black babies being aborted than being born in New York City
- Woman sends 100 tweets in an hour about her abortion
- Loneliness has strong impact on premature death
- Planned Parenthood agrees to pay $2 million in fatal abortion procedure
- Women's rights activist Reggie Littlejohn among 'Top 10' of Vatican magazine
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?