Arizona judge upholds pro-life legislation!
New law restricts abortions after 20 weeks.
It may not be enough, but it is a step in the right direction; an Arizone Judge has upheld the state's restriction on abortions after 20 weeks. It also makes a narrow exception when the life of the mother is in jeopardy.
According to the ACLU, that period is around 22-23 weeks. The previous ruling is derived from the 1992 Supreme Court decision, Planned Parenthood vs. Casey.
US District Judge James A. Teilborg wisely denied the ACLU claim because the law is not an actual ban on abortion, but rather a restriction on the practice.
"H.B. 2036 does not purport to ban all abortions past 20 weeks gestational age. Further, the statute allows for abortions up to and including 20 weeks gestational age. As such, H.B. 2036 is not a ban on previability abortions, but is rather a limit on some pre-viability abortions between 20 weeks gestational age and viability," Teilborg wrote in his decision.
The ACLU is appealing the ruling. Such an appeal, if it makes its way to the Supreme Court, could finally give power back to the people and legislatures of states who do not want abortion-on-demand services to be made freely available for use as birth control or for other reasons.
A life-affirming ruling, while not ending the horrors of abortion, could still limit them by protecting all babies after the 20th week of pregnancy. And while 20 weeks is still a lengthy gauntlet for a baby carried by a hostile mother, it is a lot better than the status quo.
The law takes effect on August 2.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?