Arizona judge upholds pro-life legislation!
New law restricts abortions after 20 weeks.
It may not be enough, but it is a step in the right direction; an Arizone Judge has upheld the state's restriction on abortions after 20 weeks. It also makes a narrow exception when the life of the mother is in jeopardy.
Finally a fair hearing. US District Judge James A. Teilborg.
According to the ACLU, that period is around 22-23 weeks. The previous ruling is derived from the 1992 Supreme Court decision, Planned Parenthood vs. Casey.
US District Judge James A. Teilborg wisely denied the ACLU claim because the law is not an actual ban on abortion, but rather a restriction on the practice.
"H.B. 2036 does not purport to ban all abortions past 20 weeks gestational age. Further, the statute allows for abortions up to and including 20 weeks gestational age. As such, H.B. 2036 is not a ban on previability abortions, but is rather a limit on some pre-viability abortions between 20 weeks gestational age and viability," Teilborg wrote in his decision.
The ACLU is appealing the ruling. Such an appeal, if it makes its way to the Supreme Court, could finally give power back to the people and legislatures of states who do not want abortion-on-demand services to be made freely available for use as birth control or for other reasons.
A life-affirming ruling, while not ending the horrors of abortion, could still limit them by protecting all babies after the 20th week of pregnancy. And while 20 weeks is still a lengthy gauntlet for a baby carried by a hostile mother, it is a lot better than the status quo.
The law takes effect on August 2.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Arizona, abortion, 20 weeks, Teilborg
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Father Knows Best
- While U.S. marriage rates are in 100-year low, rebound expected shortly
- Healing the Father Wound
- Adoption Takes The Gold Medal In The Race For Parenthood
- WHAT? Breast screening 'doesn't cut deaths,' study says
- Is Chivalry Sexist or Respectful?
- Girls of Any Age Now Permitted Access to Potentially Deadly, Dangerous Plan B Contraceptives
- AMAZING BIRTH: Baby born with amniotic sac intact
- Archbishop of Canterbury warns Cameron that his bill will destroy marriage and weaken the family
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?