How a Very Old Way of Comforting Babies is Gaining Scientific Respect
Swaddling has long been known as a comforting measure to babies. Referred to in the Nativity narrative, Luke 2:7, finds Mary wrapping Jesus in swaddling clothes.
A baby swaddled and held for vaccinations.
Swaddling is joined by placing the baby in a side or stomach position in the holder's arms, gently swaying, having the baby suck on a pacifier, and making a shushing sound in the child's ear.
Together, the steps calm the baby by mimicking the sensations of being in the womb, according to Dr. Karp, and can be used anytime a caregiver needs to comfort a fussy or colicky baby.
The method recently highlighted in the journal, "Pediatrics," described a 230-baby study that observed infants receiving inoculations.
Babies that received the "Five S's" exhibited less of pain revealing characteristics than conventionally-comforted babies.
Watch the video above, of Madeline Agnes Shively getting her shots and being comforted in the traditional manner.
Please visit Carolee on her blog: www.CaroleeGifford.blogspot.com
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: babies, baby, swaddling, Dr. Karp, Pediatrics, Carolee Gifford
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Father Knows Best
- While U.S. marriage rates are in 100-year low, rebound expected shortly
- Healing the Father Wound
- Adoption Takes The Gold Medal In The Race For Parenthood
- WHAT? Breast screening 'doesn't cut deaths,' study says
- Is Chivalry Sexist or Respectful?
- Girls of Any Age Now Permitted Access to Potentially Deadly, Dangerous Plan B Contraceptives
- AMAZING BIRTH: Baby born with amniotic sac intact
- Archbishop of Canterbury warns Cameron that his bill will destroy marriage and weaken the family
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?