Child Proofing Revisited
The world of child proofing has widened measurably.
From the moment our children enter the world we want to protect them. God graced us with this beautiful embodiment of his love and our desire to protect that gift begins.
For many years, "child proofing" consisted of covering outlets with little plastic plugs and installing latches on cabinets to prevent curious children from dangerous explorations.
Stair cases were protected with baby gates, preventing terrible tumbles.
Those measures are still important but the world of baby proofing has widened measurably.
The United States Consumer Protection Agency (USCPA) also lists door knob covers and locks as important tools to protect children from entering dangerous areas.
Many of us have seen the cute ducks over bath faucets to try and prevent scalding.
Window guards and safety netting are not items that would come to mind initially when considering child safety but their capacity to save lives can't be disputed.
Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors help keep the entire family safe.
Injuries from sharp coffee table edge can be prevented from using corner guards.
The USCPA web page lists very specific instructions for how to deal with blind cords.
With the advent of over-size televisions comes a need for awareness of the dangers of tip overs onto curious children.
More and more people are installing pools, spas and hot tubs. The USCPA recommends layers of defense against what could be lethal explorations by children.
In discussing childhood dangers, we need to look beyond our homes to our transportation.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) lists auto crashes as the leading cause of death for children between the ages of 3-14.
One surprising finding is that bulky coats can be a real impediment to safe operation of a car seat.
The blogging world has even embraced child safety; we need to inform ourselves, do what we can and then keep on praying!
Listed below are some helpful links:
The United States Consumer Protection Agency (pdf)
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Love begins at birth: Newborn baby doesn't want to be separated from mom after birth
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN HOLOCAUST: 72 percent of the babies aborted in Mississippi are black
- Teenage survivors of sexual abuse, incest must address long kept secrets
- More black babies being aborted than being born in New York City
- Woman sends 100 tweets in an hour about her abortion
- Loneliness has strong impact on premature death
- Planned Parenthood agrees to pay $2 million in fatal abortion procedure
- Women's rights activist Reggie Littlejohn among 'Top 10' of Vatican magazine
- Let's remember to keep the saint in St. Valentine's Day
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?