The month of March brings whale watchers
California town braces for upcoming migration
The California Coastal town of Dana Point is hunkering down for an influx of whale watchers this month. Gray whales make their annual trek from frosty Arctic waters to the toasty lagoons of Baja, and nature lovers are lining up for their ringside seats.
Dana Point's 200-foot cliffs gives whale watchers spectacular views of the March migration.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) – This month, the whales can be spotted along the Dana Points headlands. Up to 50 whales making the migration can be spotted daily. Dana Points 200-foot cliffs offer a magnificent view of the migrations, and dedicated whale watchers hope to catch the rare sight of a baby whale or two.
"You can see the ones with calves especially, because they will use the shoreline as a guide for their first northern migration," a marine oficial says.
Dana Point's Festival of Whales is held two weekends in March and attracts whale watchers from all over the world. The festival began with a parade on March 6 and will end on March 14 with a 5k Grunion Run.
In addition, there will be a Street Faire, lectures, sailing rides and the Ocean Institute. There will also be fishing and stand-up paddling clinics, canoe races, a pancake breakfast, a horseshoe tournament and live musical performances.
"We´ll be offering a variety of hands-on activities throughout the festival, like mackerel dissection and programs on sound and echolocation and other whale-specific marine and mammalian activities," Jonathan Witt, director of Environmental programs at the institute tells Coast magazine.
For more information about the festival, you can log on to www.dpfestivalofwhales.com
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Our Contraceptive Chickens Have Come Home to Roost
- Small comfort: Two friends die in each other's arms at destroyed Oklahoma school
- Teenage birth rates drop dramatically among Hispanic women, girls
- Combating the Secularist Elitist Attack on Motherhood: Learning from Jesus and Mary
- Freeing Ourselves from the Hideous Strength of Contraception and Abortion
- Two Opposing Visions of Women, Part One
- Two Opposing Visions of Women, Part Two
- Answering the Question: The Right to Marriage and Infertile Couples
- 'Sexually aggressive behavior' in males traced to print advertisements
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?