Drug, alcohol use by teens on the rise
Disappointing figures released after 10-year decline
A new study shows teenagers are turning increasingly to drugs and alcohol after substance use by this age group had been on the decrease over the past decade.
Alcohol use among teens was reported at 39 percent as opposed to 35 percent in 2008.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The survey found that the number of students in grades 9 through 12 that reported drinking alcohol in the last month rose 11 percent last year.
Alcohol use among teens was reported at 39 percent as opposed to 35 percent in 2008. The increase shows that 5.8 million teens are drinking alcohol on a regular basis.
In addition, 25 percent of the teens surveyed reported smoking marijuana in the last month, up from 19 percent.
Pot and alcohol use had been on a steady decline since 1998, when use hovered around 50 percent of teens for alcohol and 27 percent for pot. These figures are especially worrisome for educators and health professionals.
"I'm a little worried that we may be seeing the leading edge of a trend here," Sean Clarkin, director of strategy at The Partnership for a Drug-Free America says. "Historically, you do see the increase in recreational drugs before you see increases in some of the harder drugs."
Ecstasy, a party drug commonly used at raves with all night dancing is on the rise as well. Six percent of teens surveyed said they used Ecstasy in the past month, compared with 4 percent in 2008.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Our Contraceptive Chickens Have Come Home to Roost
- Small comfort: Two friends die in each other's arms at destroyed Oklahoma school
- Teenage birth rates drop dramatically among Hispanic women, girls
- Combating the Secularist Elitist Attack on Motherhood: Learning from Jesus and Mary
- Freeing Ourselves from the Hideous Strength of Contraception and Abortion
- Two Opposing Visions of Women, Part One
- Two Opposing Visions of Women, Part Two
- Answering the Question: The Right to Marriage and Infertile Couples
- 'Sexually aggressive behavior' in males traced to print advertisements
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?