Fourteen priests murdered in line of duty this year so far
North, South America top list with 10 murdered priests
As the most visible face of the Catholic Church, priests stand in harm's way.Fourteen priests have been killed since the beginning of this year. The last such murder took place in the town of Marano, in the Northern Italian Province of Trento.
Father Jose' Flores Preciado, pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora", was killed in his home in the city of Ensenada, in the region of Baja California on February 5.
Police suspect the murder could have resulted from a robbery attempt that went awry. In addition, Father Luis Alfredo Suarez Salazar was killed on February 2 by two unknown assailants in the northern Colombian city of Ocana. The 50-year-old priest was visiting the city on vacation before planning to return to his home Diocese of Villavicencio.
Eighty-four-year-old Father José Ancízar Mejía Palomino was assassinated on February 16 in the central-northern department of Caldas. Father Jose' Valle Bayona was later murdered on May 7.
Two priests were killed in Mexico; Father Jose' Flores Preciado, pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora", was killed in his home in the city of Ensenada, in the region of Baja California on February 5. Also in Mexico, Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez was murdered last month. Venezuelan Priest Jose' Ramon Mendoza was murdered February 17.
In Canada, Father Louis Bourgeois was attacked on 15 October 15 of last year and later died from his injuries in February. In Haiti, Canadian priest Richard E. Joyal was killed on April 25. In Brazil, Father Elvis Marcelino de Lima was killed July 13.
Asia is the second continent with the highest number of priests killed this year, although figures are much lower than in America. One priest was murdered in India. Father K. J. Thomas on April First, and the other in Syria, Father Francois Murad on June 23.
Africa and Europe tail the list with one priest killed in Tanzania (Evarist Mushi - February, 17) and Fr. Giuseppe Peterlini who was killed in the Italian town of Marano.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Pope Francis asks YOU to help NOW - Join the campaign to end world hunger
- A Humbling Sacrament: Penance, Reconciliation and Forgiveness
- Vatican: He didn't seek it but, Pope Francis is Time Magazine Man of the Year
- Pope Francis praises group that wants to deny communion to anti-life politicians
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Study: Results of pornography addiction found shocking
- ANGEL'S FACE APPEARS on 9-11 memorial!
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?