Pope challenges bishops to take to the streets
Pope wants to address decline in the Church by going out into the world.
Over the weekend, Pope Francis challenged bishops to get out and preach the gospel everywhere, seeking out those most in need.
The call to action is similar to one he gave to the youth on Thursday, exhorting them to "shake up" their parishes and communities.
Pope Francis is calling upon the world to take notice of the poor and the marginalized and their plight, and to minister to their needs.
For the Pope, this is more than a message, this is a mission. During his visit to Rio, he visited slums in the troubled city, as well as drug offenders. He welcomed a party of 35 trash recyclers from his native Argentina.
"Let us courageously look to pastoral needs, beginning with the outskirts, with those who are farthest away, with those who do not usually go to church. They too are invited to the table of the Lord."
The call is a reminder that there should be none barred from Church, and none who are left out or disenfranchised. We are all equal in the eyes of the Lord and rich or poor, we all look alike at the hour of judgment.
The call is also a plea, a plea for action in the face of assault from advancing secularism and evangelical movements which are stripping the youth away from the Church. Part of the responsibility for these losses rests with the bishops, who content to remain cloistered in cathedrals are not making the true grace of the Church known well enough to vulnerable people.
The Holy Father has himself lived this, both as a bishop and now as Pope. Today he commands amazing respect. Let's see if the rest of the Church now heeds his call to follow.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- What will your Lenten Pledge be?
- Pope may visit China this summer, says China and the Vatican are 'close'
- Francis: 'I carry crucifix I took from dead priest.'
- Pope Francis says papal summer residence gardens be opened to the public
- Pope Francis makes special plea, but will any Catholics really listen?
- Pope Francis charts a brave new course for the Church!
- Pope urges faithful to show love to those who have suffered divorce
- Family as Domestic Church: Good Eats at the Dump
- Benedict XVI calls resignation conspiracy theories 'absurd'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?