Pope Francis offers you an indulgence for World Youth Day
Indulgences are available for those who follow the event with the proper spirit of prayer and devotion.
Pope Francis is asking the world to pray for the success of World Youth Day and to motivate the faithful, has authorized an indulgence for those who follow the events with the proper spirit of prayer and devotion.
The events include daily masses and rallies, as well as speeches from leading Church figures and the Holy Father himself. Pope Francis has said he intends to visit the poor in Rio de Janeiro during his visit.
For those participating in the event, approaching it with the proper spirit of prayer and devotion should be easier as the faithful, comprised mostly of youth, spend their time surrounded by other faithful followers and the message of the Church. These individuals will receive an indulgence.
Additionally, Pope Francis has said that those who are "legitimately prevented" from attending the event will also receive the indulgence if they too follow the event with the proper spirit of prayer and devotion.
He did not spell out precisely what those requirements were.
However, a reasonable interpretation would suggest it means more than just reading or viewing news updates and saying a simple prayer. Instead, expectant devotees should strive to view the masses, speeches, and to fully receive the message sent by the Church to the world's youth. In addition to this message, prayers and attendance at local Mass is reasonably expected.
Confession should be part of the plan. Cardinal Manuel Monteiro de Castro, the head of the Vatican office that handles indulgences, has asked priests around the world to make themselves available for confessions during this time.
Priests will also encourage public prayers during this time.
The Holy Father himself will hear confessions of some of the attending youth on July 26.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Pope Francis asks YOU to help NOW - Join the campaign to end world hunger
- ANGEL'S FACE APPEARS on 9-11 memorial!
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- The New Evangelization: Pope Francis's Proposal
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- As he did in Argentina, Pope Francis walks the Roman streets at night to hand out money to needy
- Pope Francis' colorful past: he once worked as a nightclub bouncer
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?