Pope Francis too busy cleaning house to attend gala concert in his honor
Pope admonishes bishops to avoid princely attitude.
Pope Francis flexed his papal muscles yesterday by skipping a concert where he was to be the guest of honor. Instead of being entertained, he spent his time working and said that bishops should not have "the mentality of a prince."
Minutes before the start of the concert, a spokesperson entered and told the crowd that an "urgent commitment that cannot be postponed" detained Pope Francis and was preventing him from attending.
The crowd was assured that health was not the reason for the no-show.
The actual reason is that Pope Francis was working and he does not care much for concerts and other entertainments. The day before, he admonished this bishops to be "close to the people" and not to have "the mentality of a prince."
Meanwhile, it is believed that Pope Francis was spending his time working on new appointments for the Curia.
The Curia needs change since this is where scandal appears to have rooted within the Vatican, although details remain murky. Pope Francis has dedicated his first months in office to reorganizing the Curia to operate in a manner he feels is most consistent with the mission of the Church.
These changes are expected to occur within the next few months.
Meanwhile, Pope Francis continues to eschew the limelight and privilege of the papacy, being far more contented to live a simple life of labor and love. He continues to reside in a Vatican guesthouse, eats his meals in a common area, and does not use a private chapel for Mass.
Pope Francis is something of a maverick, but he is decidedly what the Church needs. Clearly, the Cardinals of the Church listened to the voice of God and Francis was elected for a reason. His most recent no-show wasn't a publicity stunt, but rather a genuine sign of how hard he is working for all of us.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Pope Francis asks YOU to help NOW - Join the campaign to end world hunger
- Vatican: He didn't seek it but, Pope Francis is Time Magazine Man of the Year
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Study: Results of pornography addiction found shocking
- ANGEL'S FACE APPEARS on 9-11 memorial!
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- The New Evangelization: Pope Francis's Proposal
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?