Pope Francis Refers to 'gay lobby' inside Vatican
Pope remains committed to cleansing the Curia of corruption.
Pope Francis referred for the first time, to the existence of a "gay lobby" inside the Vatican. The acknowledgment came during an audience with Latin American Catholic leaders of religious communities.
Speaking in Spanish, Francis said: "in the Curia, there are truly some saints, but there is also a current of corruption." "There is talk of a gay lobby and it's true it exists. We will have to see what we can do," Francis added.
Pope Francis explained "I cannot carry out the reforms myself." Francis explained that he was still very disorganized.
The existence of a gay lobby began to circulate last year as part of the Vatileaks scandal. The rumors gained more traction following the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI.
Pope Francis is one of the few Vatican insiders to see a secret report that purportedly reveals elements of corruption within the Curia. Because that report has not been shared aside from very few people, it remains unclear just what it contains.
Although the Holy Father has admitted to being disorganized, and that he will need help in cleaning up any corruption within the Curia, he has at least acknowledged that a concern exists.
At this time, it is inappropriate to speculate how significant the problem may be, and if this gay lobby has any influence over church doctrine or decisions. Given the fact that the church remains steadfast on protecting the sanctity of marriage, and continues to deliver a consistent message on human ethics, morality, and sexuality, it is a stretch to assume that the gay lobby can do much harm to the church.
Still, it is an issue that Pope Francis himself will have to fully address and, has already begun.
Pope Francis has already taken steps to ensure that the Curia is rid of any kind of corruption. One of his first acts as Pope was to form a council comprised of eight Cardinals to provide recommendations on how to reform the Vatican. Actions such as these show Pope Francis's commitment to the integrity and health of the Holy Church.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Pope Francis asks YOU to help NOW - Join the campaign to end world hunger
- A Humbling Sacrament: Penance, Reconciliation and Forgiveness
- Vatican: He didn't seek it but, Pope Francis is Time Magazine Man of the Year
- Pope Francis praises group that wants to deny communion to anti-life politicians
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Study: Results of pornography addiction found shocking
- ANGEL'S FACE APPEARS on 9-11 memorial!
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?