Insiders say Benedict's health continues to deteriorate
It will be up to God when Benedict gets to go home.
According to visitors, Pope Emeritus Benedict has declined in size and stature and he may not live much longer. The Vatican is dismissing such claims as sensationalism.
Pope Emeritus Benedict looked weary at Christmas of last year. Insiders say he has deteriorated dramatically from this time.
Benedict does not have any known, serious physical conditions, other than his advanced age. He is certainly weary from a life of ceaseless service and has expressed his relief at being retired. Benedict did cite his health as a reason for his resignation.
Benedict's brother, Georg Ratzinger, 88, and who is also a priest, has denied that there is any illness plaguing the retired pope.
However, reporters as well as Archbishop Joachim Meisner, say they have been surprised by his reduced stature, which is notably less than when he resigned. Archbishop Meisner said he was "shocked" at Benedict's frailty, however he added that the former pontiff was still of sound mind.
"Mentally, however, he is quite fit, his old self," Meisner said.
Reporter Paloma Gomez Borrero, a much-respected and veteran reporter recently predicted, "we won't have him for very much longer."
At this time, Pope Emeritus Benedict has withdrawn into his monastery within the Vatican and his public exposure is expected to be very limited, if any at all. For now, he will live "hidden from the world" as he pledged in February, and our part will be to pray for him and his health, and the rest shall be to God.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Pope Francis asks YOU to help NOW - Join the campaign to end world hunger
- ANGEL'S FACE APPEARS on 9-11 memorial!
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- The New Evangelization: Pope Francis's Proposal
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- As he did in Argentina, Pope Francis walks the Roman streets at night to hand out money to needy
- Pope Francis' colorful past: he once worked as a nightclub bouncer
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?