Pope Francis: What's in a name? Papal monkier is a powerful hint
What's in a name? Francis hints at a new direction for the Church
Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio has assumed the title of Pope Francis. The choice of the name Francis says much about the man and what he might regard as his mission.
The man who is now Francis, has hinted at a new direction for the Church.
Saint Francis is legendary within the Church for his aestheticism and piety. Francis was born into a wealthy and privileged household, but abandoned his comfortable life to follow a difficult and disciplined life as a monk.
Saint Francis often slept in the open and his followers were asked to do the same, living and working amongst the poor.
The man who is now Pope Francis grew up poor himself, the son of an Italian immigrant to Argentina.
In his preaching, Francis has called for a renewal of commitment to the poor. He has also spoken out against sinful living, including homosexuality, and has called for compassion towards victims of HIV and AIDS. He has previously made a public statement by washing the feet of AIDS patients.
Francis is also a new name for a pope. Often, a new pope will take the name of a former Holy Father which he may seek to emulate. In this case, by taking an entirely new name, Pope Francis may be signaling a new direction for the Church.
A new direction has been called for by the public, weary of scandals tied to pedophile priests and clergy who lived immoral lifestyles, such as the former Cardinal O'Brien of England. Also weighing heavily on the minds of many have been the financial scandals which rocked the Vatican over the past few years.
Let us hope and pray that Pope Francis inspires as much positive change and reform as his saintly inspiration.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Francis, pope, monkier, name, title, direction
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Atheists to have their books placed atop Gideon Bibles
- C-section leaves mom fighting for life over dreaded flesh-eating virus
- Pope Francis tells world's leaders to abandon 'cult of money'
- Saint Cyril of Alexandria Reminds Us: The Holy Spirit Helps Us to Live a New Kind of Life
- Women, Behold Our Mother
- Pope Francis canonizes over 800 new saints
- Transubstantiation: Bulwark Defending the 'Is' of Jesus
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?