Pope Francis: What's in a name? Papal monkier is a powerful hint
What's in a name? Francis hints at a new direction for the Church
Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio has assumed the title of Pope Francis. The choice of the name Francis says much about the man and what he might regard as his mission.
Saint Francis is legendary within the Church for his aestheticism and piety. Francis was born into a wealthy and privileged household, but abandoned his comfortable life to follow a difficult and disciplined life as a monk.
Saint Francis often slept in the open and his followers were asked to do the same, living and working amongst the poor.
The man who is now Pope Francis grew up poor himself, the son of an Italian immigrant to Argentina.
In his preaching, Francis has called for a renewal of commitment to the poor. He has also spoken out against sinful living, including homosexuality, and has called for compassion towards victims of HIV and AIDS. He has previously made a public statement by washing the feet of AIDS patients.
Francis is also a new name for a pope. Often, a new pope will take the name of a former Holy Father which he may seek to emulate. In this case, by taking an entirely new name, Pope Francis may be signaling a new direction for the Church.
A new direction has been called for by the public, weary of scandals tied to pedophile priests and clergy who lived immoral lifestyles, such as the former Cardinal O'Brien of England. Also weighing heavily on the minds of many have been the financial scandals which rocked the Vatican over the past few years.
Let us hope and pray that Pope Francis inspires as much positive change and reform as his saintly inspiration.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Pope Francis asks YOU to help NOW - Join the campaign to end world hunger
- Vatican: He didn't seek it but, Pope Francis is Time Magazine Man of the Year
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Study: Results of pornography addiction found shocking
- ANGEL'S FACE APPEARS on 9-11 memorial!
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- The New Evangelization: Pope Francis's Proposal
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?