CARDINAL BERGOGLIO ELECTED AS POPE FRANCIS I
WIll be known as Pope Francis I.
Cardinal Bergoglio has been elected as our new Holy Father! Habemus Papam!
Bergoglio was the cardinal Archbishop of Buenos Aries, Argentina.
The new pope was elected after just 2 days of voting by the cardinals, which is considered fast for the modern Church.
St. Peter's Square is packed and cheery, yet there is a sense of reservation and discipline as thousands of people are packed together in the square. There remains a sense of awe and a sense of reverence at this most solemn and holy moment.
Few men in modern times want to be pope. The massive responsibility of serving as the spiritual leader of 1.2 billion people and constant demands of the work are hard on both the mind and body.
However, as Catholics we understand that popes are called forth by God and any man who holds the title and responsibility of office is also buoyed and inspired by the Holy Spirit in the work they do.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Pope, new, election, conclave
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Atheists to have their books placed atop Gideon Bibles
- Killer whale with missing fins cared for by its pod family
- C-section leaves mom fighting for life over dreaded flesh-eating virus
- Pope Francis tells world's leaders to abandon 'cult of money'
- Saint Cyril of Alexandria Reminds Us: The Holy Spirit Helps Us to Live a New Kind of Life
- Women, Behold Our Mother
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?