Black smoke means no pontiff yet
The cardinals must listen for the whispers of the Holy Spirit.
Black smoke from the copper chimney above the Sistine Chapel has signaled that we do not yet have a new pope.
No conclave in modern times has elected a pope on the first day. Some cardinals have warned that given the gravity of the situation, it could take several days to elect the right person.
For the most part, while cardinals will discuss and debate, the heart of the matter is silence, and listening to the voice of God, which will guide the College to elect the right person. To this end, the cardinals have spent much of the day in prayerful contemplation. They will continue to pray as they go about this monumental task.
Tomorrow, the cardinals will return to the Sistine Chapel for anywhere from one to four rounds of voting.
The cardinals are forbidden to share any discussion of what is happening within the conclave. The world's first news will be white smoke from the chimney, which will inspire great rejoicing in St. Peter's Square. After that, the world will wait a bit longer until the new pontiff is presented.
The selection of the next pope is of great importance. The next Holy Father will be required to tackle many challenges including the advances of secularism and atheism, as well as the incidents of abuse and immorality recently uncovered amongst some of the clergy. It will be the pontiff's solemn responsibility to root out and destroy such corruption.
Choosing the man who can accomplish the task with Divine guidance will not be easy, if there is too much noise to listen to the whispers of the Holy Spirit.
For now we wait, and pray.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- As he did in Argentina, Pope Francis walks the Roman streets at night to hand out money to needy
- Pope Francis' colorful past: he once worked as a nightclub bouncer
- Argentinean government nominates Pope Francis for Nobel Peace Prize
- Standing up to bullies, girl says, 'I have a tumor, that's all'
- Pope Francis sends young almoner to do charity in the streets, and possibly sneaks out himself!
- Eternal Shadows or Shadow Makers? Read this inspiring tale of adventure!
- Pope Francis meets with Israel's Netanyahu
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?