Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor calls for next pope to put house in order
Church cannot continue to be plagued by current scandals.
Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, is making a very public call to Rome, asking that the next pontiff put his house in order to better deal with the challenges and scandals that face the Church. Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor is the retired Archbishop of Westminster.
Former cardinal Keith O'Brien with Jimmy Sevile and two unidentified children. Police suspect the late Sevile is one of the country's worst serial sexual predators.
Whoever the successor to Benedict is, that individual will need to manage the Roman Curia, ensuring its reform and the subsequent reform of the church entire. That the Church needs reform is beyond question. Priests who have used and abused their position of power to engage in illicit behaviors, and others involved in scandals such as at the Vatican bank, need to be managed to prevent future harm being done to both people in general and the Church itself.
"As you know, there have been troubles in recent years, and scandals. Well, this has got to be addressed and especially the pope's own house has to be put in order." the Cardinal said.
The Catholic Church is certainly in crisis mode. Many speculate the resignation of Benedict isn't just because of his physical infirmity, but also because of the scandals which have rocked the Church during his administration.
Yesterday, Cardinal Keith O'Brien resigned as Archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburgh after being accused of soliciting priests for inappropriate behavior. While the details remain unclear, it is known that at least five fellow priests have made accusations against him.
He was also a known associate of Jimmy Savile, who is believed to have been a serial sex offender following accusations from hundreds of people who claim they were abused by him as children. Savile was a major celebrity in England and was well known for his charity events.
Cardinal Keith O'Brien posed for a picture with him that now appears sinister in context with Savile's alleged secrets now widely reported.
Meanwhile, in the United States, Cardinal Roger Mahony, the former archbishop of Los Angeles, remains under intense scrutiny for effectively facilitating sexual misconduct amongst priests within his archdiocese by failing to report to police accusations of child sexual molestation.
At the Vatican, the Italian media is reporting the existence of a "gay lobby" which exists in contrast to the Church's teaching on homosexual behavior. The existence of such a cabal within the Vatican is unconfirmed, and may possibly be the product of media sensationalism. However, the fact that such stories even get published is a manifestation of the problem.
As Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor pointed out, dealing with issues such as these will be a priority for the next pope. In order for the Church to govern effectively with maximum moral authority, its leadership must be as white as the robes worn by the Holy Father himself. While corruption and scandal will always exist within any organization, the Holy Church is rightly held to the highest standards for morals and ethics. He will serve best who enforces the ethics of our faith.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- The New Evangelization: Pope Francis's Proposal
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- As he did in Argentina, Pope Francis walks the Roman streets at night to hand out money to needy
- Pope Francis' colorful past: he once worked as a nightclub bouncer
- Argentinean government nominates Pope Francis for Nobel Peace Prize
- Standing up to bullies, girl says, 'I have a tumor, that's all'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?