10 year old saves friend from choking
A 10 year old saved his friend from choking on a snack using the Heimlich maneuver.
Tomorrow, a New Jersey fourth-grader will be honored for helping save his friend and classmate from choking.
'I just wanted to help my friend.'
"At first, we all thought it was a joke," Derek explained "But he started to make these weird sounds and then he turned red. I just got up and ran around the table and did the Heimlich maneuver."
Gavin, also 10, said that he was far from joking.
"People were laughing because I goof around a lot, but I was really choking," Gibson said. "He saved my life."
Jennifer Mihalecsko, Derek's mother who is a fourth-grade teacher in the Cherry Hill School District, said that the incident inspired her to talk to her students about what to do in case of an emergency.
"It's important that the upper-elementary schools are exposed to this kind of information so they are prepared," she said.
Said Derek, "I just wanted to help my friend."
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: emergency, save, Heimlich maneuver, choking
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- C-section leaves mom fighting for life over dreaded flesh-eating virus
- Pope Francis tells world's leaders to abandon 'cult of money'
- Saint Cyril of Alexandria Reminds Us: The Holy Spirit Helps Us to Live a New Kind of Life
- Women, Behold Our Mother
- Pope Francis canonizes over 800 new saints
- Transubstantiation: Bulwark Defending the 'Is' of Jesus
- GOSNELL GUILTY!
- When Death Arrives, Will You Say Joyfully: O Death, Where is Thy Sting?
- Why Pope Francis Doesn't Give Communion
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?