Teen Pregnancy Rates Fall? Hold the Applause!
in Reading, PA.
"Michael Six, Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator, is careful to point out that Mary's shelter is an independent organization, not affiliated formally with the Catholic Church.
The fact that it is located in a former convent with the vast majority of volunteers being Catholic, speaks loudly of a real, though not official, connection to Catholicism.
"The response has been tremendous," said Six. Each of the rooms available to a mother and her child has been sponsored by pro-life groups. There is visible evidence of the participation.
Six can't keep from sharing his warm smile as he opens door after door of renovated rooms ready to welcome pregnant women.
He proudly displayed the room that Cassidy's Pro Life Club decorated. "They even painted the bands around the ceiling lights and the inside of the medicine cabinet!"
One Boy Scout troop took on the monumental task of organizing the numerous donations the shelter has received.
There is a huge emphasis on education at the shelters. Many of the girls in the program have no experience with life or parenting skills.
Popular television shows like "Teen Mom" and "16 and Pregnant" have certainly brought the phenomenon of teen pregnancy to the forefront. Viewers are invited into the soap opera-like lives of teen moms. The effect of these shows on teen pregnancies is yet to be determined. Just watching a smattering of episodes of "Teen Mom" showed much drama and little substance.
One 64-year-old Easton, Pennsylvania woman, who chose not to be identified, had a more realistic view of teen pregnancy. She was 15 when she got pregnant
"I just about finished tenth grade," she said.
"Are you kidding me!" she said when asked whether she was scorned by a society less accepting of teen pregnancy.
"I lost my friends and my freedom but abortion was not an option I would even consider."
She married the baby's father and both committed to giving the baby the best life they could.
"My mom didn't have that talk with me! She said when discussing abstinence. Her mom did support her though in her decision to marry and keep the baby.
For more information, see www.Marysshelter.org
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: teen pregnancy, Catholic, homes for unwed mothers, love, charity
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- An Anatomy of Christian Joy: 'Be, Jesus, Our Joy!'
- In Imitation of St. Joseph, Model of Fathers of Families
- Fathers Are Guardians of the Family
- Pope Francis: Freedom Means Always Choosing the Good; A Challenge in Today's World
- Pope Francis attracts record breaking number of Twitter followers en Espanol
- Meet these senators who are unafraid to talk about their faith
- 'Lady' the black labrador survives after being shot 100 times with a BB gun
- HARROWING ORDEAL: Nigerian man survives boat capsize in air bubble
- Pope Francis Refers to 'gay lobby' inside Vatican
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?