Archbishop Dolan - Obama policy 'intruding into the life of faith.'
Archbishop leads the way for freedom and justice.
Cardinal Timothy Dolan boldly stated that Obama's contraception policy is "intruding into the life of faith," during an interview on CBS News' Face The Nation.
Archbishop Dolan is at the head of a national movement to fight Obama's unconstitutional HHS mandate.
Archbishop Dolan's remarks referred to Obama's new contraceptive edict, issued through the Department of Health and Human Services. The edict originally mandated that private employers, including religious institutions, had to provide free contraceptive services to employees.
This sparked a strong backlash as the public realized this edict would force churches and private individuals to choose between following their conscience and following the law.
The backlash, spearheaded by the Catholic Church, forced Obama to change the plan to mandate insurance companies pay for the coverage instead of employers.
Few people were fooled. The tactic was a bait-and-switch, and employers would still be paying for the coverage, albeit indirectly. But money is money and it is fungible; insurance companies would still collect and employers would still be paying.
Obama's mandate remains an intrusion into the world of faith and Archbishop Dolan made this clear during his interview.
"You've got a dramatic, radical intrusion of a government bureaucracy into the internal life of the Church. Our problem is the government is intruding into the life of faith in the church that they shouldn't be doing," Dolan said in the interview.
He continued, "I also don't think the government and politics should be overly involved in the church."
Dolan and the bishops of the Catholic Church have been standard-bearers for the crusade to protect life and to keep the state out of the faith and matters of religious conscience. Currently several court cases have been brought against the administration on constitutional grounds. It is hoped these cases will uphold the freedom of conscience of all Americans and religious institutions over the edicts of the state.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Archbishop Dolan, New York, CBS, Face the Nation, HHS mandate
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- What Did Pope Francis REALLY Say About Atheists?
- Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!
- According to map, China leads world in atheism
- Receiving the Eucharist: I Have Decided to Kneel For Jesus
- Exorcism or not, it's still a miracle
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- Pope Francis tweets his prayers following devastation in Moore
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?