The Happy Priest on Celebrating All Saints Day
group of women at around eight o'clock in the evening. During the class, two armed men entered the classroom and demanded that Victoria leave with them.
Victoria, together with Fr. Molina and eighteen others who were already in prison were awakened in the middle of the night. They were forced to walk for three hours to a new destination: an abandoned mine shaft. Each one was forced to stand upon a huge stone above a large pit where they were shot and killed.
Victoria watched as the men were shot and fell into the pit. Fr. Molina was the last man to be killed and then it was Victoria's turn. The soldiers tried to convince her to save her life if she would only renounce her Catholic Faith and cry out "Long live the republic" and "Long live communism." Victoria refused. Instead she knelt on the stone, and with her eyes raised to heaven and her arms opened in the form of a cross she shouted, "Long live Christ the King! Long live the Virgin Mother!" Victoria was only thirty-three years old.
We are all called to be saints. We are all called to be heroes. Now, more than ever, the Church needs new saints and new heroes.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: All Saints, holiness, eternal life, holiness, Fr James Farfaglia
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- C-section leaves mom fighting for life over dreaded flesh-eating virus
- Pope Francis tells world's leaders to abandon 'cult of money'
- Saint Cyril of Alexandria Reminds Us: The Holy Spirit Helps Us to Live a New Kind of Life
- Women, Behold Our Mother
- Pope Francis canonizes over 800 new saints
- Transubstantiation: Bulwark Defending the 'Is' of Jesus
- GOSNELL GUILTY!
- When Death Arrives, Will You Say Joyfully: O Death, Where is Thy Sting?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?