Mickey Rourke thanks God and Catholic faith for 'second chance'
Speaking to the Bosnian daily 'Avaz,' Rourke said, 'God gave me a second chance in life and I thank Him.'
(Mickey Rourke) 'When you fall people push you down even more. The world is full of materialism and envy. When you are famous and you fall, people donít want you to come back. It is almost impossible to come back. Itís hard enough the first time, but the second time itís like you donít even exist ÖGod gave me a second chance.'
Speaking to the Bosnian daily ďAvaz,Ē Rourke said, ďGod gave me a second chance in life and I thank Him.Ē
Rourke achieved fame in the 80s with action films and erotic thrillers. At the beginning of the 90s he left film for boxing and fell into heavy drug and alcohol addiction.
According to the newspaper, during the most difficult moments of his life, his psychiatrist and his priest were his best friends.
ďWhen you fall people push you down even more. The world is full of materialism and envy. When you are famous and you fall, people donít want you to come back. It is almost impossible to come back. Itís hard enough the first time, but the second time itís like you donít even exist ÖGod gave me a second chance, the guy upstairs helped me out,Ē he said.
Several years ago Rourke began his return to the big screen and this year he won his first Golden Globe Award for the film ďThe Wrestler.Ē Rourke was also an Oscar favorite.
Now, he says, he doesnít think about Hollywood much. ďI donít care about Hollywood and what the people of Hollywood think. I donít think about how it works because I simply donít care. I donít even dream about it.Ē
In 2005, when he began to land bigger roles in films, he revealed to a magazine that he was meeting often with his pastor in New York and was on the verge of suicide. ďIf I werenít Catholic I would have blown my brains out,Ē he said
- - -
Founded in continued response to Pope John Paul IIís call for a ďNew Evangelization,Ē the Catholic News Agency (CNA) has been, since 2004, one of the fastest growing Catholic news providers to the English speaking world.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- Pope Francis tweets his prayers following devastation in Moore
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Atheists to have their books placed atop Gideon Bibles
- Killer whale with missing fins cared for by its pod family
- C-section leaves mom fighting for life over dreaded flesh-eating virus
- Pope Francis tells world's leaders to abandon 'cult of money'
- Saint Cyril of Alexandria Reminds Us: The Holy Spirit Helps Us to Live a New Kind of Life
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?