Antioxidants Cause Agressive 'Threefold' Increase in the Number of Cancer Tumors.
Beware of the food suppliment industry and the continued deception on health benefits.
Antioxidants have been marketed for years as the 'cancer prevention' champion, but a new study published in the Science Translation Medicine on January 29, 2014, shows that normal doses of Vitamin E and smaller doses of acetylcysteine actually increase the growth rate of cancer cells in mice with lung cancer.
Free radicals cause damage to the DNA inside cells and leads to cancer. But if you already have cancer or pre-cancer cells this supposed protection completely backfires.
The new study done on mouse and human cancer cells found that the antioxidants, vitamin E and acetylcysteine suppressed or stopped the release of p53, a vital tumor suppressing protein that our bodies naturally release when cellular DNA damage by cancer cells is detected. By suppression of the p53 protein, cancer cell growth rate is accelerated.
Senior author Dr. Martin Bergo stated 'We found that antioxidants caused a threefold increase in the number of tumors and caused tumors to become more aggressive, antioxidants caused the mice to die twice as fast and was dose dependent. If we gave a small dose, tumors grew a little. If we gave a high dose, tumors grew a lot.'
In other words, 'antioxidants allow cancer cells to escape our cells own defense system against tumors,' biologist Per Lindahl of Sweden's University of Gothenburg and a co-author of the study stated. That lets existing tumors, even those too small to be detected, proliferate uncontrollably.
The human body produces its own antioxidants from the food we eat. When we take antioxidant supplements, we defeat the body's ability to fight cancer and disease.
Eating a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables helps give our bodies protection from cancer.
We have been duped into thinking that if our bodies make its own antioxidants, then by taking antioxidant supplements we will boost that protection. This is clearly wrong. We take a sensitive and intricate process our bodies naturally do and literally turn it off.
Dr. Bergo also commented on acetylcysteine in particular as it is used to improve breathing in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Former smokers and smokers often have COPD and are known to have an increased cancer risk.
By reducing the DNA damage, the antioxidant actually helps the cancer cells escape detection.
This is the latest study done on antioxidants, but not the first. In the 1980s and the 1990s, studies showed there was a significant 18 percent increase in the incidence of lung cancer in male smokers that took the antioxidants beta-carotene, vitamin A and vitamin E.
This latest study concluded that people who have lung cancer or are at risk for lung cancer should avoid taking antioxidant supplements.
I question the entire food supplement industries integrity and honesty. They play into people's desperate hope and belief that there is magical protection and health benefits by taking their supplements. We should be living and eating healthier and allowing our bodies to do the God intended.
Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action'...
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Keywords: health, cancer, turmor, antioxidant, prevention, medicine, growth, cells, lung, lung cancer, DNA, study, studies, mice, COPD, smoke, smoker, smokers, vitamin E, beta, carotene, vitamin, vitamin A, acetylcysteine
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- New blood test diagnoses Alzheimer's three years before onset of disease
- Malaria spreads to higher altitudes due to global warming
- Malaria cases spread to higher elevations
- Alzheimer's to join cancer, heart disease as one of America's top fatal conditions
- Birthing centers not provided for under health care reform
- Lots of proteins can BE BAD FOR YOU! 'As bad for health as smoking,' new study finds
- OUTBREAK: 53 people in 10 states stricken with measles
- Popular overdose drug rises in cost, to keep up with demand
- ANCIENT SCOURGE: leprosy, still very much alive in the world today, goes back 10 million years
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?