Will we be able to Google our hour of death? Google forms healthcare company dedicated to aging
New comapny 'Calico' will focus on aging and deadly illness.
Google is getting into the healthcare business as a side venture as a way to reinvest some of the revenues it collects from advertising. The new company will focus on life-threatening diseases as well as conditions related to aging. The health venture will run separately from Google itself.
The new company will be called "Calico," and details on its operations are still speculative. It is understood that health issues are a topic of concern for both Google founders, Larry Page and Sergy Brin. Page has recently been diagnosed with a chronic nerve condition as well as a thyroid problem, although neither condition appears to be life-threatening.
Apple Inc. and Genetech chair, Art Levinson, will lead Calico.
Page also said he is at increased threat for Parkinson's disease, something he learned as a result of genetic testing.
Google has made Page and Brin very wealthy and its stock is considered by many to be a blue chip choice. With surplus cash on hand, the company has reinvested its profits in a variety of innovative projects including self-driving cars, wearable computers, and a plan to beam wireless internet to the most remote parts of the world using balloons.
"Don't be surprised if we invest in projects that seem strange or speculative compared with our existing Internet businesses," Page wrote on his Google+ profile. "And please remember that new investments like this are very small by comparison to our core business."
So far, investors have remained neutral about the announcement, and Google share price remains virtually unchanged since Wednesday.
Don't take chances with your health. Try Rise Above Health and see what a difference one website can make for you!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- Men are from Mars, Women from Venus? Their brains are certainly wired differently
- Drinking water from plastic cups, bottles may be causing migraine headaches
- Apocalypse imminent as bacteria evolve beyond antibiotics
- New injection gives arthritics new hope
- Overweight people need to curb blood pressure to cut heart attack risk, doctors say
- Dangerous fad diet involves kids eating cotton balls
- Heart attack symptoms show up ONE MONTH before they occur, doctors say
- Diabetes spreading at alarming rate throughout Asia
- New, drug-resistant disease threaten medical advances
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?