Virginia North LE - Student wins anti-tobacco video contest
A Virginia student won a national anti-tobacco video contest.
A Virginia Commonwealth University student, who produced a video about the dangers of smoking, has won a national contest that was sponsored by the U.S. surgeon general's office.
Smokers may experience reduced lung function, impaired lung growth, early heart problems, and asthma.
On Wednesday, officials announced the winners of the "Tobacco - I'm Not Buying It" video contest. Amjad said it took about two weeks to complete the video, and another two weeks to spread the word about voting for the contest.
"I really made the video to reach my friends and the community," said Amjad. "There aren't any health benefits to smoking, mostly consequences. That's really where I got the idea."
Many of his peers told him that his video made a "huge impact on their lives and makes them think twice about smoking." A number of them actually quit completely, saying they "don't want a giant robot cigarette smoking them."
In the 13-17 age group, the grand prize winner was Dantreal Waiters and the Manatee Youth for Christ SOZO team, from Bradenton, Florida. Their video consisted of them rapping about the dangers of tobacco and why they are not buying it.
In March, Surgeon General Regina Benjamin's office released the first look at tobacco use in today's youth in nearly two decades which prompted the contest. Almost one in five high school teens smokes, with more than 80 percent of smokers beginning by age 18 and 99 percent of adult smokers starting by the age of 26.
It is important to stop young adults from using tobacco due to the high chance of long-term addiction. Reduced lung function, impaired lung growth, early heart problems, and asthma can quickly occur when one smokes.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: anti-tobacco, health, risks, contest, tobacco, video
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- Is it really that simple? - Research suggests ordinary vitamin C kills drug-resistant TB
- Chamomile tea can be refreshing treat - as well as a safeguard against cancer, researchers say
- HIV resurgent among Navajo tribe as deadly cases spike
- UK to give cancer patients genetic analysis just like Angelina Jolie
- Vitamin D found beneficial in treating asthma symptoms
- Study: Depressed women in 40s, 50s suffer more than twice for stroke risk
- Some experts say it's biologically possible to clone a human
- Study: Women live longer than men as their immune systems age more slowly
- Man declared dead for 40 minutes brought back to life with revolutionary machine
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?