'Donate a kidney, buy the new iPad!'
Black market organs increase worldwide; illegally obtained body parts grows more than once an hour
Illegally obtained and purchased body parts - kidneys being the most
common example, have dramatically increased worldwide. According to the
World health Organization, 10,000 black market operations involving
purchased human organs occur annually or more than once an hour.
An organ broker in China who advertised his services under the slogan, 'Donate a kidney, buy the new iPad!,' told journalists the operation could be performed within 10 days.
Patients in search of illegal organ transplants travel; as far away as China, India or Pakistan for surgery, can pay up to $200,000 for a kidney to groups who harvest organs from desperate people, sometimes for as little as $5,000.
The arrest by Israeli police of 10 people, including a doctor, are suspected of belonging to an international organ trafficking ring and of committing extortion, tax fraud and grievous bodily harm. Other illicit organ trafficking rings have been uncovered in India and Pakistan.
An organ broker in China who advertised his services under the slogan, "Donate a kidney, buy the new iPad!," told the journalists the operation could be performed within 10 days.
This thriving black market suggests that humanity itself is being undermined by the vast profits involved, highlighting the division between poor people who undergo "amputation" for cash and the wealthy sick who sustain the body parts trade, according to the World Health Organization.
"The illegal trade worldwide was falling back in about 2006-07 - there was a decrease in 'transplant tourism,'" Luc Noel, a doctor and WHO official who runs a unit monitoring trends in legitimate and underground donations and transplants of human organs says.
"The trade may well be increasing again. There have been recent signs that that may well be the case. There is a growing need for transplants and big profits to be made. It's ever growing, it's a constant struggle. The stakes are so big, the profit that can be made so huge, that the temptation is out there," Noel adds.
Noel cites the lack of law enforcement in some countries, and lack of laws in others, mean that those offering financial incentives to poor people to part with a kidney have it too easy.
Kidneys make up 75 percent of the global illicit trade in organs, Noel estimates. Rising rates of diabetes, high blood pressure and heart problems are causing demand for kidneys to far outstrip supply.
The organization does not know how many cases involved the organ being obtained legitimately from a deceased donor or living donor such as a friend or relative of the recipient.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Black market, organtransplants, kidenys, China, Pakistan
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- New studies reveal more information about autism cause
- Scientists discover why cancer spreads in human body
- Generic drugs to be more readily available after court ruling
- If you don't stop it -- you'll go blind! Sick sexual fetish can be dangerous, doctors warn
- HIV BREAKTHROUGH: New AIDS prevention pill may cut infection rates in IV drug users by 50 percent
- Brestfeeding baby has benefits for mom too!
- Blood test may one day replace colonoscopy
- Man suing plastic surgeon after he awakes with NO NOSE
- Federal officials issue warning about MERS, may be spread by Muslim pilgrimage
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?