White rice is bad for you -- what next?
White rice is a staple for half the world's population.
Can white rice, a staple food for half of the world's people, be bad for you? A study published by the Harvard School of Public Health suggests that people who eat too much white rice may significantly increase their odds of developing type 2 diabetes.
The studies found that people who ate the most white rice were 1.5 times more likely to develop diabetes than people who ate the least amount of white rice. Specifically, the study found that for every 5.5 ounce serving of white rice, a person's risk rose 10 percent.
The researchers wrote, "This applies for both Asian and Western cultures, although due to findings suggesting that the more rice eaten the higher the risk, it is thought that Asian countries are at a higher risk."
They current thought is that rice is quickly converted into sugar by the body, causing a spike in blood sugar levels as well as the proverbial rapid onset of hunger. The onset of hunger can lead to overeating, which is another risk factor for type 2 diabetes.
Doctors also pointed out that white rice wasn't the only culprit in this mechanic. Pastas, white bread, and white potatoes also carry much the same risk.
Doctors say that eating one to two servings of white rice per week is fine, but eating more could be a factor in increased diabetes risk.
Ultimately, moderation is the secret in all healthy habits. Any food or habit, done in excess, can cause harm.
The results were published in the March 15 issue of the British Medical Journal.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- Malaria cases spread to higher elevations
- Alzheimer's to join cancer, heart disease as one of America's top fatal conditions
- Birthing centers not provided for under health care reform
- Lots of proteins can BE BAD FOR YOU! 'As bad for health as smoking,' new study finds
- OUTBREAK: 53 people in 10 states stricken with measles
- Popular overdose drug rises in cost, to keep up with demand
- ANCIENT SCOURGE: leprosy, still very much alive in the world today, goes back 10 million years
- CONTROVERSY: Is dyslexia a 'meaningless label' to excuse bad reading skills?
- Horrid polio-like disease stalking children in California, may be very widespread
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?