Tuberculosis occupies Occupy protesters
At least two people infected, one with drug resistant strain.
As the weather grows cold, Occupy protesters have started to huddle together inside tent encampments across the country. The close quarters and poor sanitation are now threatening the outbreak of disease.
Fulton County Services Director, Matthew McKenna said in a written statement, "Over the last three months there have been two persons who have resided in this facility who have been diagnosed with confirmed or suspected infectious tuberculosis. One of these persons was confirmed to have a strain of TB that is resistant to a single standard medication used to treat this condition. All persons identified as positive have begun treatment and are being monitored to ensure that medication is taken as directed."
Atlanta's Task Force for the Homeless has notified the Occupy protesters of the outbreak, although the identities of the victims have not been released.
The situation is becoming both dangerous and tense as the news could force the protesters to move once more. The protesters moved into the homeless shelter on October 30, after Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed evicted them from downtown's Woodruff Park, telling them that they could no longer camp there overnight. Now the protesters and the homeless shelter are in jeopardy of eviction.
Occupy Atlanta has indicated through their spokesperson, Tim Fraser and, that despite the reports, they still have no intention of relocating at this time.
© 2011, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- Obamacare crashing in model states like California as 70 percent of doctors opt out
- New hepatitis-C drug approved by FDA
- Donors from around the world say that an AIDS-free generation may be within sight
- Washington signing up more people for Medicaid than private plans
- Man documents ravages of diabetes to his feet as they decay within 10 DAYS
- Dementia epidemic only growing worse: 135 million sufferers could arrive by 2050
- Men are from Mars, Women from Venus? Their brains are certainly wired differently
- Drinking water from plastic cups, bottles may be causing migraine headaches
- Apocalypse imminent as bacteria evolve beyond antibiotics
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?