Ask Dr. Denton: What about Bread? The Bread of Life and the Gift of Real Bread
smell, and taste, the same, we pound the wheat into a uniform color and texture and then add the exact amount of synthetic vitamins to the flour so every bag and every finished bun is the same. Unfortunately, in doing so, we destroy the nutritional value of the grain and the taste.
The Center of the wheat is what soft white breads are typically made from. That bread has low fiber, few natural B vitamins, and minimal protein. That type of bread is easy to manufacture and has a long shelf life, especially with the preservatives added.
Go to the south of Spain or the Alsace region of France and have a piece of real bread. Wow, the flavor and texture are mind blowing. Why? Because of the whole grain used in freshly ground course flour. The whole grain is the great gift of the Creator. Therefore, the nutritional power house found within the bread is still present. We digest the grain slowly because the outer coating is harder to digest. The slow breakdown means less stress on the pancreas ... Less diabetes? Absolutely!
The other downside of our bread - eating habits in the United States of America is that we love the "biggy" and "super" size. So let's see, we have a burger with three pieces of white bread layered with all kinds of added calories. We take in over 2000 calories in a single setting and complicate the calories with a bread bun built on the wrong parts of the wheat grain.
I tell my patients if you can see the grain in the piece of bread you're eating, GREAT. If you can find a bakery in your local area that uses whole grain floor and recently milled floor WOW you have the ultimate bread bakery.
Very simply, if you think about what our Lord ate, the best diet in the World is found right there: Wine, with the antioxidant and germ killing ability that is contained in that delightful fruit of the vine. Plenty of water, it makes up approximately 70% of our bodies. Wheat and other whole grains to give us our vitamins, minerals. Some good, lean proteins and good carbs (the slow digestible type). AND add a little olive oil and fish. Learn to love those omega three fatty acids. Presto, the greatest diet ever, because it is more than a diet, it is a gift. It opens us up to beautiful living.
This Easter season have some slow cooked whole grains. Eat some real bread. you know the kind from the bakery with the grains looking out at you. Or better yet, learn to make it yourself and find another source of joy. Then smile when you realize you are eating the kind of bread (small b) that gives life; a gift from the One who is the True Bread of Life.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Dr. Denton Weiss, bread, carbohydrates, health, nutrition, Dr Atkins, Zone diet, baking,
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- Study suggests that menopause affects a woman's memory - especially if accompanied by hot flashes
- Forget printing guns, doctors use 3D printer to save baby
- Is it really that simple? - Research suggests ordinary vitamin C kills drug-resistant TB
- Chamomile tea can be refreshing treat - as well as a safeguard against cancer, researchers say
- HIV resurgent among Navajo tribe as deadly cases spike
- UK to give cancer patients genetic analysis just like Angelina Jolie
- Vitamin D found beneficial in treating asthma symptoms
- Study: Depressed women in 40s, 50s suffer more than twice for stroke risk
- Some experts say it's biologically possible to clone a human
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?