'Oh my gosh, those are cars!' Watch the most dramatic footage of the deadly Moore tornado captured here as it devours an entire town
Storm chasers capture the most dramatic footage of Moore tornado.
The video above shows the first ten minutes of the deadly Moore, Oklahoma tornado. The dramatic footage shows the tornado grow from a thin rope to a deadly monster EF5 twister.
From the outset, the tornado was understood to be serious, but it quickly exceeded the most dire expectations as it widened. Within minutes, it struck a home or outbuilding, then made its way towards a freeway.
At one point, just as the tornado crosses the freeway, one of the spotters shouts "Those are cars! Oh my gosh, those are cars!"
The desperation of the on-air news reporters and the chasers is evident in their voice as it becomes clear the tornado is a deadly event. Not long into the disaster, reporters announce the declaration that a "tornado emergency" is in effect. A tornado emergency is the highest level of warning the National Weather Service can issues and it means that a tornado is actively destroying inhabited areas.
One of the spotters becomes sure his own home is lost as the tornado strikes his neighborhood. Dutifully, he continues radioing updates on the disaster.
The Moore tornado killed 24 people, injured 377 more, and did at least $2 billion in estimated damages.
Watch the second part of the footage here.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- Global warming? 'Soul-crushing' cold recorded in Antarctica
- Design students come up with high-tech toilets for modern world
- Global Warming? Somebody tell this man why a few degrees of extra warmth are bad
- 2011 Japan tsunami was triggered by world's largest fault slip
- Discovery may prompt scientists to redraw human family tree -- again
- Report urges policymakers to ignore long-term climate change threats and focus on 'abrupt' changes instead
- When you gotta go, you gotta go: Prehistoric dinosaur toilet discovered in Argentina
- Isn't this just the cutest dinosaur EVER?
- Climate change a myth? Not for these places!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?