Giant African snails invade Houston suburb, public warned
Alarm raised after woman spots one and contacts authorities.
One of the world's most invasive species has been spotted in a Houston suburb. Authorities are working to confirm the find and are warning people not to touch the giant African land snail, should they find one.
A woman said she found one such snail in her Briar Forest suburb of Houston and snapped a picture of the creature. Officials from local wildlife conservation associations and the USDA have launched an investigation.
The giant African land snail is notorious for destroying crops and eating everything in sight, including plaster from walls. The snails are also a road hazard, puncturing the tires of cars that might run over their shells. The snail also carries a parasite that can cause a deadly form of meningitis in humans. Authorities are warning people in the Houston area if they should see one of these snails, they must not handle them.
The snail is an import from East Africa, and is a popular pet. An infestation in the Caribbean has already destroyed the flora and fauna of at least one island there and are now wreaking havoc in Florida. Wildlife officials in Florida are hoping to halt the snail's spread using poison.
Giant African land snails are very distinctive and easy to recognize. They are quite large, growing as tall as 6 inches or more and can be more than a foot long. They also lay over 1,200 eggs per year, which can help their population spread rapidly.
Authorities hope the snail spotted in Houston is a single specimen, possibly brought home and released by a Florida visitor, and not a harbinger of a mass influx of the creature. If the snails manage to spread across the Houston area, they will be difficult to contain and will cause millions of dollars in damage each year, not to mention the threat they pose to human health.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- 2011 Japan tsunami was triggered by world's largest fault slip
- Discovery may prompt scientists to redraw human family tree -- again
- Report urges policymakers to ignore long-term climate change threats and focus on 'abrupt' changes instead
- When you gotta go, you gotta go: Prehistoric dinosaur toilet discovered in Argentina
- Isn't this just the cutest dinosaur EVER?
- Climate change a myth? Not for these places!
- ERUPTION: Japan the proud papa of a brand new island
- $280 million pledged by nations to halt deforestation
- UGLY! Extremely rare fish nabbed for second time ever near Canada
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?