Climate change scientists puzzled over lack of global warming during past decade
Observations suggest models need to account for additional variables.
Climate change skeptics have been using new data to challenge the current mainstream scientific consensus that the planet is warming. According To the latest research, the trend of natural warming has leveled off over the past 10 years.
While most scientists and researchers agree the planet has been warming for some time, there is very little agreement as to the cause, and what solutions people should pursue. In the United States in particular, the debate over global warming has become politicized, and is particularly contentious.
Climatologists are not as quick as conservative bloggers to concede the issue. The problem they say, is one of complexity. The climate is simply too complex to pin down trends based on short observations. Amusingly, these are the same arguments that conservative commentators and skeptical scientists have been making for decades.
Despite the claim that temperature has leveled over the past decade that same time frame has seen some of the warmest years on record for many places around the globe. Extreme weather events also seem to be happening with greater frequency. It is beyond dispute that the Arctic ice cap covering the North Pole, is melting at an alarming rate and that Antarctic ice has thinned substantially over the past few decades. Sea level is also rising.
Climate change scientists suggest that the current leveling trend could be related to the loss of sea ice, particularly in the Arctic. As the sea ice melts, it exposes more of the underlying ocean. This sea then absorbs more of the planet's surface heat. This has a leveling effect on global air temperatures, and can explain why the past 10 years haven't seen as much warming--the oceans are absorbing the heat.
Scientists warn that warmer oceans can cause extreme weather with greater frequency, which would be consistent with recent observation. They also say that eventually the ocean's ability to absorb heat will be exhausted, and that heat will return to the atmosphere.
Scientists also say that despite the stall in warming, the reported temperatures still fall within the range of expected observation for a warming planet.
At the end of the day, scientists do have a perplexing problem to solve. Global CO2 concentrations are higher now than they have ever been in modern human history. According to classical global warming theory, the planet's temperature should continue to rise along with the CO2. This isn't what is being observed. It suggests strongly that current climate models may be too simple, and will have to be revamped to account for the existence of additional variables.
Although the models now have an apparent imperfection, weather patterns and climate are clearly changing. The difficult task ahead of us is to decide what we should do about it regardless of what the models say.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- Fearsome beast once stalked Europe: New dinosaur identified
- Resident Evil: Extinction. 30,000-year-old giant virus revived from frozen Siberian tundra
- The world's getting hotter - in spite of reductions in global warming
- BAD PARENTING: Ants use their newborns as rafts in flood situations
- Powered by Google. Online monitoring system tracks global deforestation
- TOLD YOU SO: Human behavior now causing greatest mass extinction ever, and it's finally hitting you in the wallet
- Cereal giant Kellogg pledges only to use ethically supplied palm oil
- World's largest solar farm in Mojave Desert frying birds which flies over
- Source of Amazon River may be 57 miles longer than previously believed
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?