Virginia North LE - Wildlife Center releases golden eagle
Virginia Wildlife Center released rehabbed golden eagle.
A 4-year-old golden eagle has been released after a three-month rehabilitation period at the Virginia Wildlife Center.
"If you can chuck them off a cliff or a really steep slope, then they'll go toward the horizon and they'll go. That's what we'll go for today," veterinarian Dr. Dave McRuer told the group, however was not sure if this would happen for sure. "Once we give him a toss, we don't know exactly what this bird will do."
The bird expanded its 7-foot wing span, and after a few minutes, McRuer held the bird above his head and tossed him in the air. The bird, to everyone's relief, took off and sped out of view.
Then, after a few moments, something happened that no one expected. The eagle circled back and flew around the spectators for a couple minutes, until a red-tailed hawk drove him off
"That doesn't happen often," McRuer said of the bird circling back. "That bird, if it wants to, it could be in Pennsylvania by this evening."
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- 2011 Japan tsunami was triggered by world's largest fault slip
- Discovery may prompt scientists to redraw human family tree -- again
- Report urges policymakers to ignore long-term climate change threats and focus on 'abrupt' changes instead
- When you gotta go, you gotta go: Prehistoric dinosaur toilet discovered in Argentina
- Isn't this just the cutest dinosaur EVER?
- Climate change a myth? Not for these places!
- ERUPTION: Japan the proud papa of a brand new island
- $280 million pledged by nations to halt deforestation
- UGLY! Extremely rare fish nabbed for second time ever near Canada
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?