Virginia North LE - Wildlife Center releases golden eagle
Virginia Wildlife Center released rehabbed golden eagle.
A 4-year-old golden eagle has been released after a three-month rehabilitation period at the Virginia Wildlife Center.
A 4-year-old golden eagle has been released after a three-month rehabilitation period.
"If you can chuck them off a cliff or a really steep slope, then they'll go toward the horizon and they'll go. That's what we'll go for today," veterinarian Dr. Dave McRuer told the group, however was not sure if this would happen for sure. "Once we give him a toss, we don't know exactly what this bird will do."
The bird expanded its 7-foot wing span, and after a few minutes, McRuer held the bird above his head and tossed him in the air. The bird, to everyone's relief, took off and sped out of view.
Then, after a few moments, something happened that no one expected. The eagle circled back and flew around the spectators for a couple minutes, until a red-tailed hawk drove him off
"That doesn't happen often," McRuer said of the bird circling back. "That bird, if it wants to, it could be in Pennsylvania by this evening."
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: nature, golden eagle, wildlife, rehabbed, rescue
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- There's the problem! Americans are out of touch with scientific consensus on climate change
- Oldest water in the world discovered beneath the earth's surface
- Rare event, two Alaskan volcanoes simultaneously erupt
- Why are scientists in Cancun worried about melting snow on Mt. Everest?
- Atmospheric carbon dioxide hits 400 ppm, so why should we care?
- Sea level rise already forcing changes in Caribbean, other island nations
- Giant African snails invade Houston suburb, public warned
- First law of the black widow kingdom - Don't get old
- Massive cicada plague to strike Eastern U.S.
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?