Southern California LE - Plan for biology research center unveiled
The proposed plan for a biology research complex for San Pedro's waterfront has been unveiled.
Today, after three years of development, a plan has been released for a biology research facility that will have research vessels, laboratories, and a wave take on the San Pedro waterfront.
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, CA (Catholic Online) - The City Dock One Marine Research Center, planned to be a 28-acre campus, would serve as the new home for the Southern California Marine Institute, which includes 11 college and university campuses. If approved by the L.A. City Council and the Board of Harbor Commissioners, the facility would share space with environmental groups, marine-related companies, and government researchers.
\"Our vision is for City Dock One to become home to a thriving cluster of university researchers, educational facilities and technology ventures that solves problems, creates jobs and improves the quality of life in Los Angeles and beyond,\" said spokesman Phillip Sanfield. \"This would be a cornerstone to the world-class L.A. Waterfront that is beginning to emerge.\"
Executive director of the Port of Los Angeles, Geraldine Knatz has led the planning for the facility since August 2009. The harbor commission agreed earlier this month to create a nonprofit group to raise money for the new lab, which is expected to cost $416 million over two phases.
The proposed plan is to equip the new research facility with classrooms, offices, labs, water storage tanks, a 150-seat auditorium, and an 18,500-square-foot floating dock to help small research vessels at Berths 56-60. The old Westway Terminal Corp. property, located at Berths 70-71, would be changed into a 50,000-square-foot lab for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and berths for vessels up to 250 feet long.
One of the main attractions will be a steel-reinforced concrete wave tank that would analyze the rise and fall of sea levels, sea shifts, and the effect of tsunamis on the ocean. The new facility would be a major upgrade from the SCMI's present 11,000-square-foot facility on Terminal Island
\"This is a completely unique project and our work on this is unlike any other marine lab we know of in the world,\" said Dan Pondella, the institute\'s board president and an associate professor of biology at Occidental College. \"It\'s a complete win-win for the surrounding communities, the harbor and the schools involved because it will be a job creator and an excellent teaching tool for students in our area.\"
On June 12, the project will be discussed during a meeting starting at 6 p.m. at the Port of Los Angeles Administration Building, 425 S. Palos Verdes St., San Pedro.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- Report urges policymakers to ignore long-term climate change threats and focus on 'abrupt' changes instead
- When you gotta go, you gotta go: Prehistoric dinosaur toilet discovered in Argentina
- Isn't this just the cutest dinosaur EVER?
- Climate change a myth? Not for these places!
- $280 million pledged by nations to halt deforestation
- ERUPTION: Japan the proud papa of a brand new island
- Ancient seawater was TWICE as salty as it is today, scientists learn
- UGLY! Extremely rare fish nabbed for second time ever near Canada
- Half-a-million years-old viruses found in modern human DNA
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?