Well may gush for two to four more years
More than two million gallons gushing into gulf daily
If the oil is not capped form the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, that exploded and sank in April, the oil could be gushing for two to four more years.Former BP CEO Tony Hayward says the reservoir that feeds the gushing well in the Gulf of Mexico probably still holds about 2 billion gallons of oil.
If the oil is not capped form the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, that exploded and sank in April, the oil could be gushing for two to four more years.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Hayward appeared before a House subcommittee, and estimated that the reservoir tapped by the out-of-control well holds at least 50 million barrels of oil. At 42 gallons per barrel, that's 2.1 billion gallons.
According to government estimates, anywhere from 73.5 million to 126 million gallons have gushed from the breached wellhead - whether into the water or captured.
That means the reservoir still holds 94 to 97 percent of its oil. If the flow can not be tapped, with its current flow rate, it would take from two to nearly four years for all the oil to leak from the field.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- NOAA issues warning to expect more hurricanes this year
- Your help is needed: Scientist seeks help in mapping global emissions
- Lovely but deadly - beautiful bubbles in Canadian lake are flammable methane gas
- Oldest water in the world discovered beneath the earth's surface
- There's the problem! Americans are out of touch with scientific consensus on climate change
- Rare event, two Alaskan volcanoes simultaneously erupt
- Why are scientists in Cancun worried about melting snow on Mt. Everest?
- Atmospheric carbon dioxide hits 400 ppm, so why should we care?
- Sea level rise already forcing changes in Caribbean, other island nations
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?