The period of fifty days before Easter. It begins with the Sunday before Ash Wednesday, called Dominica in Quinquagesima or Esto Mihi from the beginning of the Introit of the Mass ; it is a Sunday of the second class, and the colour the Mass and Office is violet.
For many early Christians it was the beginning of the fast before Easter, hence called, as with the Syrians, Dom. ingressus jejunii . For some, Quinquagesima marked the time after which meat was forbidden and was therefore called Dom. carnis privium, ad carnes tollendas, carnevala ; by the Poles, Ned. zapustna . Since these regulations affected mainly the clergy, we find the name carnis privium sacerdotum and in Germany herren fastnacht . Where abstinence from meat began earlier, this Sunday introduced the time in which neither milk nor eggs etc, ( ova et lacticinia ) were allowed, hence called by the Greeks Dom. cesei comestrix et ovorum ; Melchites, sublationis ovorum et casei ; Austrians, Käse- or Milchfaschingsonntag, Sonntag in der Butterwoche ; Italians, de'latticini ; and Serbians, bele poklade (white meats). The Slavs name it Ned. III. predpepelnicna , i.e. the third Sunday before Ash Wednesday ; Bohemians, Ned. II po devitniku , i.e. the second Sunday after the ninth before Easter. In many places this Sunday after and the next two days were used to prepare for Lent by a good confession ; hence in England we find the names Shrove Sunday and Shrovetide .
As the days before Lent were frequently spent in merry-making, Benedict XIV by the Constitution "Inter Cetera" (1 Jan., 1748) introduced a kind of Forty Hours' Devotion to keep the faithful from dangerous amusements and to make some reparation for sins committed.
More Volume: Q 37
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- 26 Coptic Christians dead after heinous attack HD Video
- To honor the lost: A brief history of Memorial Day
- A Big Thank You from JESUS IS - The Series HD Video
- What does the Holy Spirit reveal to us?
- St. Maximinus of Trier: Saint of the Day for Monday, May 29, 2017
- Daily Readings for Monday, May 29, 2017
- Newborn baby filmed 'WALKING' shortly after birth
- Day 5 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 4 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 3 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.