The largest of the numerous small bands attached to Cowichan agency, at the southeast end of Vancouver, British Columbia. They are of Salishan stock and speak the Cowichan language, which is spoke also by several of the associated as well as upon the opposite mainland. Their chief settlement is in Cowichan valley, about forty miles north of Victoria. In their primitive condition they subsisted by fishing, hunting, and the gathering of wild berries and roots. Their customs, beliefs, and ceremonials were practically the same as those of their neighbours, the Songish and Sechelt. Frs. J.B. Bolduc and Modeste Demers visited them as early as 1847, but they were chiefly converted by the Oblate Fathers, who arrived at Victoria in 1857. They are now civilized, industrious, and moral, in fairly good houses, living by farming, fishing, hunting, and by working on the railway, in canneries, etc. From probably 1000 souls sixty years ago, they have been reduced by smallpox and other diseases to 300 in 1901, and 260 in 1909, of whom all but about 60 are reported to be Catholics, the rest Methodists (see also SONGISH INDIANS).
More Volume: Q 37
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- St. Francis Xavier: Saint of the Day for Saturday, December 03, 2016
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 5th, 2016 HD Video
- 'The priests and nuns will speak out' - Philippine president ...
- Daily Readings for Saturday, December 03, 2016
- Fr. Stanley Rother becomes first American-born martyr
- St. Barbara HD Video
- Tutor sends 7-year-old to hospital for 'being disruptive in class'
- daily readings
- saint george
- saint james
- Saint Patrick
- st. francis
- st. jude
- st. peter
- mother theresa
- st james
- st joan of arc
- advent prayers
- St Joseph
- ten commandments
- Pope Francis
- saint agnes
- St Anthony
- 10 commandments
- mary magdalene
- Patron saints
- st bernadette
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 4th, 2016 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 3rd, 2016 HD
- Trump chooses Mad Dog Mattis as Sec. of Defense HD
- St. Francis Xavier HD
Copyright 2016 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2016 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.